Talk

Advanced search

Its happened...washing machine has finally gone caput!...

(9 Posts)
Becaroooo Mon 08-Aug-11 15:31:52

...and I am determined to buy a decent one this time (have gone through 2 cheap ones in the past 4 years!!!)

Looking at a Miele one...£750!!! <<faints>>

Worth it???

valiumredhead Mon 08-Aug-11 15:35:19

Oh yes most definitely! Look on Buyers and Sellers for the best deal, we get all our white goods from them.

My dishwasher is 10 years old, so is my drier and washing machine - all Miele and all going strong. Average life of a Miele washer is 20 years!

allthefires Mon 08-Aug-11 15:37:12

John Lewis own brand 5 year guarantee

ThisIsANiceCage Mon 08-Aug-11 15:38:35

Make sure it has exactly the washes you need. Mine was expensive, looks like I'm stuck with it lasting forever - and doesn't have much choice at 30 degrees.

Becaroooo Mon 08-Aug-11 15:38:51

oooohh 20 years?? really??? That would impress dh!

My cheapo tumble dryer is still ok but then its only 8 months old!

HappyAsIAm Tue 09-Aug-11 13:57:00

Ours went a couple of weekends ago. It was a cheapish hotpoint washer dryer, and it was well beyond repair. The dryer function didn't work very well anyway, so we decided to buy a separate washer and a separate dryer.

So, off we go to the local retail park where the comet and currys are, expecting to buy both for about £800 tops. Out we come with a top of the range Miele washing machine and a Bosch dryer, having spent £1,350. Oh my lord.

On the plus side, the washing machine comes with a 10 year guarantee, and it is absolutely brilliant, I can't rave about it enough. I'd really recommend it. the best things about it - a 20 minute, full 1400 spin cycle quick wash; if you catch the cycle early enough, you can open the door to add to the load (very good when I realise that I've dropped socks on the stairs on my way down); very energy efficient too.

Gentleness Tue 09-Aug-11 18:07:04

Which one did you get Happy? I'm coveting it already having done 4 loads today already and 2 to go before I get to the beds...

HappyAsIAm Wed 10-Aug-11 09:26:26

This one www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/miele-w5740-washing-machine-white-03937773-pdt.html

£1,000 - big gulp! They did discount it a bit, as we bought a tumble dryer at the same time, and they did a good trade in on our old one (which had completely broken so was worthless to us), free delivery and installation. Seriously though, I can't believe that we spent that much money on a washing machine. I came into work on Monday and mentioned it, and it seems thatloads of people in my office have a Miele and they all, without exception, think its great. My boss has had his for 10 years, and the only thing he can find to complain about with it is that it doesn't have a digital display.

I would 100% recommend.

turdinator Wed 10-Aug-11 09:53:04

It's worth checking out shops/retailers that you wouldn't usually think of first for big appliances like washing machines. I was in my local Asda Living store and they had a small range of washing machines, brands found in all the stores like Currys but with the 'Asda Price' tag. Worth a look. Better than £1,000 anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now