Talk

Advanced search

We have dumped the dishwasher!

(20 Posts)
Ormirian Mon 08-Aug-11 12:22:30

And it feels so liberating.

We installed one in our new kitchen about 6 years ago. It was OKish but very tempermental - had to be loaded just right, didn't like glasses, seemed to need to constantly fed with different substances inspite of using 3-in-1 detergent. Moved house last year and inherited another one. Which was awful from the very start! In the end I managed to snap off the spray arm attempting to clean it out (as it was just not cleaning anything so I assumed it was blocked.

So....we have no dishwasher and I it's bliss! No half-washed, strained-vomit covered plates, scummy glasses. No frustrating hand washes in the mornings because yet again the dw had refused to perform and there were NO CLEAN MUGS!

Yes we have to wash up but I was doing most of it anyway and at least everything is actually properly clean now.

Anyone else take the same journey?

confusedperson Mon 08-Aug-11 12:44:47

We have inherited a dishwasher with the house 2 years ago. Used it two times after parties. It's really easier for us to wash by hand than collect dirty dishes/load/unload. By the way collecting dirty dishes does annoy me!

lubeybooby Mon 08-Aug-11 12:53:02

Noooooo! I love my dishwasher, sounds like you've been unlucky with them. Mine is only a cheapo one but it gets everything far more sparkly clean than I ever could including glasses etc.

Ormirian Mon 08-Aug-11 13:15:27

I must be expecting too much then lubey grin I expect to be able to put anything I want washed in a dishwasher without lots of angst and rearrangment and without preferably spending hours on maintaining it! And gets sparkling clean crocks out at the end of it!

I think that the divorce is final!

dexter73 Mon 08-Aug-11 16:46:55

I didn't bother replacing my dishwasher after it packed up a few years ago. I found I was having to do washing up anyway as some pots/trays etc wouldn't go in. I honestly don't miss it at all.

thestringcheeseincident Mon 08-Aug-11 16:52:14

You're crazy.
Get one that works properly. Oh the joys.

carminagoesprimal Mon 08-Aug-11 16:52:22

Never had one ( out of choice ) I think they're an unhygienic waste of time - I'd rather wash up in a nice big sink full of hot soapy bubbles - at least I know the plates and cups are clean.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Mon 08-Aug-11 16:55:11

I've really reduced how much I use mine to try and save money and don't really miss it much at all.

Ormirian Mon 08-Aug-11 16:56:08

I have fallen back in love with a bowl of soapy water and a washing-up brush grin

Hellishday Mon 08-Aug-11 16:59:02

I love my dishwasher.

Ormirian Mon 08-Aug-11 17:00:42

In fact over the last few years we have dumped the tumble drier and the dishwasher and, last week, the microwave - although we may replace that as it costs too much to bake spuds in a gas cooker <gulp>

overthemill Mon 08-Aug-11 17:05:03

i wish i could get rid of ours. my dh bought one as soon as he moved in and 13 years and 2 dishwashers later i still rewash 30% of the stuff and loathe packing and unpacking stuff especially drying it all. on holiday i happily do the little bits and bobs that gather and never ever miss it. First job once back was to unpack dishwasher from load dh did on way out of the door<<gnashing teeth emoticon>>

AlmaMartyr Mon 08-Aug-11 17:05:31

We've never had one home and never wished I did. Had them in holiday cottages and they just annoy me, seem to be far more work tbh.

HopeForTheBest Mon 08-Aug-11 17:05:54

It would be a hard decision if I ever had to choose between the dishwasher and the washing machine. I think it is utter madness to be without either, tbh.

Ormirian Mon 08-Aug-11 17:14:31

Washing machine is essential! If that breaks down we have to use the laundrette. Without the DW we just need to wash-up! Washing bed sheets and towels by hand is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

thestringcheeseincident Mon 08-Aug-11 17:15:41

oh yes it's real hard work. load in, enjoy tea and mumsnet. unpack. maybe 5 mins each end.

JellyBelly10 Tue 09-Aug-11 23:29:28

My brand new Miele dishwasher is being delivered tomorrow (some time between 7am and 2pm hmm ) and I am SOOOOOOOO excited. Old dishwasher died 11 days ago and I am SICK of washing up! Cannot wait to load my new bad boy! How anyone lives without a dishwasher by choice is beyond me! Tomorrow after dinner I'll simply load him, sit down, listen to his marvellous rumblings as I drink wine

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 12-Aug-11 12:09:36

My DW has just broken sad

It was the first thing I bought (seriously - ahead of a washing machine - although we used my mum's so it wasn't like we were going to the launderette every week) when we moved into our house - I'd never had the room (or money) for one before.

It has changed my life. I never, ever want to be without one again. I would seriously consider sacrificing a washing machine and using the launderette if I had to choose.

It is a magic box into which used plates and dishes and cutlery and glasses can be hidden, only to reappear all sparkly (and until it broke, everyhting did^ come out all sparkly).

Fayrazzled Fri 12-Aug-11 12:12:41

A modern dishwasher is more energy/environmentally friendly than washing by hand as it uses much less water; especially if you open the door at the end of the cycle to air dry the dishes.

I couldn't be without my dishwasher or washing machine.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 12-Aug-11 12:16:32

Mine is temperamental in much the same way as yours, OP – it particularly likes leaving sandy deposits in the bottom of glasses and mugs <heave> and has a strop if I over-fill it – but I persevere, mainly because it makes a handy extra storage area and I think it's better than having dirty dishes piled up by the sink. I do understand the reasons for you divorcing yours, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now