Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is there a knack to cleaning those Tommee Tippee spouty cups? Mine are a biohazard.

(17 Posts)
spout Mon 08-Aug-11 09:55:28

You know, the sippy cups with the flip-up spouts. I just peered underneath the 'hinge' of the spout and there was a lot of manky grey gunk. This cannot be healthy, even for a DS who eats woodlice.

Tried removing the spout and have bent a fork and snapped a butter knife.

Don't really want to buy new ones as am Skinty McGinty.

just realised that with my username, this was the thread I was destined to write grin

hazeyjane Mon 08-Aug-11 09:58:03

pipe cleaner, toothbrush and milton or bicarb.

spout Mon 08-Aug-11 10:04:28

pipe cleaners - brilliant. I am freakishly looking forward to removing all this crap blush

MrsNoggin Mon 08-Aug-11 10:10:23

I used a cocktail stick. It was sickeningly satisfying blush.

Cattleprod Mon 08-Aug-11 10:14:28

I've had to stop using this type of beaker as they kept exploding!!

DS has 50/50 orange juice and water, and it seems to build up pressure over the day, causing the lids to pop off, and leakage of juice in the bag, all over the nappies, spare clothes, my phone etc.

Seona1973 Mon 08-Aug-11 18:10:21

I put mine in the dishwasher, although thats no help if you don't have one!

hwhite6 Mon 08-Aug-11 18:22:07

All Tommee Tippee stuff can be sterilised I thought. DS1's beaker lids go through every now and again when they've seen the ground too many times at the park.

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Aug-11 18:24:20

hmmm never had this problem i must admit and i've been using them for 6 years now!! lol

i put mine through the dishwasher with the spout "open" if that's any help??

oh and i never use them for milk or anything like that... only water or diluted juice

CultureMix Wed 10-Aug-11 20:41:08

Denture tablets are the answer - works beautifully. Soak the lid(s) overnight, fully covered, in a bowl with one or two tablets. Can get cheap own brand tablets at the supermarket. Leaves a slight minty taste so may want to rinse afterwards but not found this to be an issue.

nannyl Wed 10-Aug-11 21:09:07

these spouts twist off

i always remove the spout to wash every single time, and every so often give it a really good scrub with a washing up brush and very hot water

Seona1973 Wed 10-Aug-11 21:25:26

the flip up spouts arent designed to be removed. You may be thinking if a different tommee tippee cup

nannyl Wed 10-Aug-11 21:30:38

i mean these

TheyCallMeKipper Wed 10-Aug-11 21:36:09

You can buy a tiny brush for cleaning the colic vent of tommee tippee bottles - it's a bit like a pipe cleaner but a proper brush. I would think that would get underneath well. They sell them with the bottle cleaning brushes in supermarkets etc.

Seona1973 Wed 10-Aug-11 21:59:44

I think the op is talking about the tommee tippee first cup

nannyl Wed 10-Aug-11 22:45:29

agh ok! sorry!

springlamb Thu 11-Aug-11 09:23:02

Also, the tiny interdental brushes are great for job like this.

spout Thu 11-Aug-11 12:06:28

I now have a veritable arsenal for tackling The Grot. Thanks folks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now