Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning Vertical blinds.... HELP

(4 Posts)
Honeypie80 Mon 08-Aug-11 08:35:26

Im in desperate need of rescuing my vertical blinds from a set of french doors, we had some renovation work done in our house and i found my lovely Dp had taken them down, thrown them in a bag and not tied it, so now there full of dust and creased to bits.... can they be salvaged, there 110"long so would cost a bomb to replace and id rather do it the cheaper way.

Ive read tons of suggestions some say washing them in a machine, others in a bath... what is the best way to wash them, im thinking if i hang them straight the creases will come out too, maybe not though...

I wash mine once a year or so in the washing machine (they are in the kitchen so get greasy). Remove all the plastic hanging bits, sort of coil them all up together, but not fold too much, maybe do them in two lots if there are a lot of them. Get them out as soon as the machine has stopped and lie them flat somewhere, then while they are still slightly damp iron them (check a corner first for temperature, mine are a stiff fabric which can take the heat), lie them flat and them immediately rehang them. You can put all the bottom end fixings in afterwards, the main thing is to get them hung up again quickly. Hanging alone won't pull the creases out of mine.

Honeypie80 Mon 08-Aug-11 08:49:27

Do they not go frayed though in the machine, or does it depend on which type you have, mine are pretty stiff too, i know my Mil washed hers in the machine and they came out all different lengths and frayed to bits. she ended up having to buy new ones for the whole of her house.

Ouch. Well I do mine on a low temp low spin setting and they have always been fine. How about hang them on the washing line and hose them down, leave to dry a bit then iron?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now