Talk

Advanced search

My MIL cleaned and tidied my house and decorated the bathroom whilst house sitting

(22 Posts)
LadyWithNoManors Sat 06-Aug-11 15:50:00

I'm very grateful but also very ashamed blush.

We went away for 2 weeks and MIL stayed at our house to look after the animals while we were away. I did tidy a bit before we went but what with having 3 DC's under 6 to look after and pack for etc it wasn't left how I would have liked to have left it.

I have got behind a bit on the cleaning etc as we are also in the process of decorating and everything is a bit hectic.

Anyway I returned last night to find she had gutted the place. She had even given our mould old bathroom a lick of paint ( it needs completely refitting but we can't afford it at the moment). DP said, 'Is this the same house?'.

I feel a bit ashamed that I can't keep the house like that and that I had let it get into that state in the first place.

BTW my MIL is 77 blush.

WinduhPAYNE Sat 06-Aug-11 15:53:51

She sounds like wonder woman lucky you! Don't be ashamed, an untidy home is a happy home.

aleene Sat 06-Aug-11 15:54:33

She sounds fabulous! Please send her to my house!
Don't be embarassed. She didn't have 3 small children demanding her attention and she obviously wanted to do it. I hope you are getting her a lovely gift!

Ripeberry Sat 06-Aug-11 15:55:35

Bet she loved it! I love cleaning other people's houses but can't be bothered with my own blush

moffat Sat 06-Aug-11 15:56:22

She was probably bored and wanted something to do - sounds like she honestly meant well, must have been lovely to come home.

Nagoo Sat 06-Aug-11 15:57:12

I'm sure she did it to be kind and not to make you blush

She hasn't got 3 DCs to run after. I'm sure you could have done it if left to your own devices, but it doesn't work like that, does it?

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Aug-11 15:57:22

Don't feel bad!
How far away does she live? Does she come over regularly? Perhaps she could have helped you out before it got into the state you feel it was, but hadn't felt able to so took advantage of you not being there to just crack on?

I'd feel as embarrassed as you seem to as well, I have to say - whenever I go back to the UK with DS, DH is under strict instructions that no major changes are to take place in the house while I'm away (I have control ishoos, obviously) and I would have freaked if my MIL had done what yours did (not to her face, of course!)

LadyWithNoManors Sat 06-Aug-11 16:05:11

I know she meant well.
She has now given me something to work with iynwim and hopefully I will now keep on top of it.
Thumbwitch - She lives an hour away. She probably thought I would think she was interfering if she had helped out before.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Aug-11 16:06:11

Mines pruned the garden trees while we went to devon last week but shes only 72 so I really ought to have expected a deep clean and empty laundry basket too.

Lightweight.

ivykaty44 Sat 06-Aug-11 16:07:11

You have sent her the biggest bunch of flowers and chocolates this morning....? grin

starfishmummy Sat 06-Aug-11 16:51:30

Fluffy last year mine came round and to weed my front garden containers while we were away. She hadn't asked us but either took two buses each way with tools or arranged lifts so presumably she had pre planned it. We arrived home and found she had emptied them completely - not just the weeds but the plants (all perennials) as well. She then had the nerve to ask if i liked what she had done!

Maryz Sat 06-Aug-11 17:05:28

My mum is almost 80 and insists on ironing the kids's clothes when she comes over which I never do. She also offered to weed the garden last time she was here blush.

Mandy2003 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:09:41

Here she is OP - what a lovely lady, you are lucky. Don't feel ashamed, I'm sure she remembers how it was to have little kids and no time!

LadyWithNoManors Sun 07-Aug-11 11:13:44

grin @ mandy

SaffronCake Sun 07-Aug-11 14:26:17

Look at it another way: You've got your priorities more or less straight.

I'm guessing it's a mess because you prioritised spending time playing with /reading for/ being a mother to your children above coming over all Kim'n'Aggie meets Llewellyn-Bowen. If so then no guilt is required.

Then again if mother's clean up also removed 284 randomly assorted beer tins from behind the sofa consider your report card marked Must Try Harder. grin

colditz Sun 07-Aug-11 14:29:57

She obviously cares about you or she wouldn't have bothered. Appreciate her while you have her!

queenmaeve Sun 07-Aug-11 17:43:40

when i was in having dd, i had to stay in hospital a bit linger. my mil and sil stayed in our house with dc. it was titdy because it was christmas, but they organised all our wardrobes and the hot press, ironed every thing, it was lovely coming home to it.

messymammy Mon 08-Aug-11 09:20:44

Wish I had your mil grin
My mum came over to babysit for one evening, which I cleaned in preparation for about 3 days blush and she later gave out to me about the state of my windows ffs angry. I told her if it was that important then she should do them, but they certainly don't bother me.
bitch

mangomousse Mon 08-Aug-11 09:24:34

What a lovely MIL. I am sure she didn't intend for you to feel blush but she just remembers what is was like trying to run a house with young DC's. Big bunch of flowers for her I think!

happyland Mon 08-Aug-11 09:27:34

I would love this to happen to me! My mil wouldn't for fear of offending me unfortunately but this would seriously be a dream come true. grin

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 08-Aug-11 09:32:15

That is the kind of MIL you want! She was probably bored and wanted something to do. That is the sort of thing my Mum used to do for me when she came to stay (and we were away). I was very grateful.

Dont be blush just send her some flowers to say thanks.

georgie22 Mon 08-Aug-11 09:33:03

How kind of her - sounds like my 70ish parents! When they cat sat a month ago they jet washed the patio, did loads of work in the garden, cleaned the house etc. We were really grateful. My MIL and FIL on the other hand do absolutely nothing. When I was in hospital after having dd, dh spent hours there with me so kitchen needed tidying but his mom never offered to help, even after seeing that it needed doing. Aarghhhh! And breathe!!.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now