Talk

Advanced search

Green toilet hinges?!

(7 Posts)
Tigerinmysoup Fri 05-Aug-11 17:06:20

Does anyone know how to clean up the hinges of loo seats that have gone green? I have scrubbed and scrubbed with loo cleaner/bleach, etc, but it's useless. Looks so manky!

MadameLupino Fri 05-Aug-11 17:16:34

I'd get a new one. You can only clean them to a point IMHO and the green/rust seems to stick no matter what.
I buy wooden ones for about £20, they only take me ten minutes to fit. The last time I kept trying to clean the green, it rusted the screw and was a nightmare to change in the end - just warning you not to let it get that far!

Tigerinmysoup Sat 06-Aug-11 22:00:20

Thanks, new ones it is then!

Ponders Sat 06-Aug-11 22:08:28

Ikea do a very neat white plastic one called Maren which can be unclipped from its base & hosed down in the shower

all the fittings are plastic; the seat/lid screws are metal, but you can mask them with eg vaseline. If the base gets manky (which it will) you can undo that v easily & hose it down too

much better than ordinary ones smile

Ponders Sat 06-Aug-11 22:08:57

The Ikea one is v cheap too - about £10 iirc

Bar Keepers Friend on a toothbrush shifts it. Also a dab of vaseline in the screw heads helps keep rust at bay.

SleepyFergus Sun 07-Aug-11 08:11:40

Omg, I thought it was just me who had manky hinges! We replaced all our loo seats when we moved in (plastic for wooden John Lewis) and they soon went green. Nothing shifts it but I might well try Barkeepers friend.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now