Talk

Advanced search

New sofas - Next or John Lewis? Leather or not?

(30 Posts)
Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 07:33:05

I have saved up for new sofas. I really would like brown leather (I know, I know but I don't have twigs in a vase and no laminate floor if that makes it any better ). I am still looking around but like Next & JL. Anyone bought from them?

Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 16:41:52

Anyone?

Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 20:17:59

I know half of MN has brown leather sofas... where did you buy them?

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 05-Aug-11 20:20:49

Why don't you try an independent? We bought ours from here in Wales but they delivered to us from the Midlands.

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 05-Aug-11 20:23:28

this one in fact

Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 20:26:15

Thanks Mitsford... I want to try it out before I buy it - I need to know how squishy it is! Nice sofa though.

mamijacacalys Fri 05-Aug-11 20:37:50

Our brown leather sofas came from the leather sofa company too - 10 years old now and still look OK. ILs have recently bought from there and are pleased. We are in S Wales so could try before we bought.
HTH and happy shopping smile

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 05-Aug-11 22:10:01

I just got a Next Sonoma one and I love it. We wanted a leather one due to 2 DS's potentially wrecking a fabric sofa, but I found a total bargain 4 month old Next sofa on ebay and got it for £200! I do love fabric, I'm on it at the mo and i am v comfy. We just ordered a 2 seater to go with it. My in laws also have next sofas and they have stood up well.

Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 23:26:43

Thanks - I think Next might be the way to go. Will look on ebay first!

TIDDLYMUM Fri 05-Aug-11 23:34:51

I bought M and S Abbey five years ago. Still I think current stock. Got a very scratchy crazy dog and kids all over it, we are not at all precious.Its still in great condition. I know a lots of outlet typr shops have them as well. Bronco leather thought not fine. Can thoroughly recommend.

southeastastra Fri 05-Aug-11 23:36:07

john lewis

suzikettles Fri 05-Aug-11 23:39:13

I'm sitting at the moment on my very, very comfy IKEA Ektorp brown leather sofa which has been a great buy.

But if I'd had more money I'd have gone for John Lewis. They've got some lovely brown leather sofas.

Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 23:39:13

Oh, no general consensus then!

I've looked at Next, JL & M&S - M&S is really expensive. I'm so indecisive!

Grockle Fri 05-Aug-11 23:41:13

I'm also on an Ektorp (fabric though) but after 2 yrs the cushions are losing their shape and it looks 'loved'. I need a beautiful new sofa for my peaceful new front room. Might have to test some more tomorrow!

Mammonite Fri 05-Aug-11 23:48:43

Ours are from Sofasofa (Portland) but that was when they had a showroom in the Midlands, I wouldn't buy a sofa without trying it out TBH. But the Portland is really comfortable and has stood 5 years of jumping on so far, so good.

Mine is ugly but fantastically comfortable and wonderful for kids/dogs to jump all over... from a Harveys outlet store... there are a few around the country... I'm in the South West and I went to the store in Bridport. Pretty sure there's one in Surrey too. Not my first choice of sofa, I wanted a Next one too but I got a brown leather 3 seater and a chair for £500... would have cost £2000 in store!

Grockle Sat 06-Aug-11 08:56:24

Thank you. Will have a look in the week

valiumredhead Sat 06-Aug-11 15:04:10

We bought one from this company 12 years ago - still going strong, and about a third of the price as not paying for shops etc. IIRC they send you REALLY good brochures with big leather samples so you can decide on a colour.
www.thomaslloyd.com/

valiumredhead Sat 06-Aug-11 15:40:36

It was a Chesterfield and was £1,100 with a stool and a chair too - would've been £3,500 in DFS.

If you look in the contempory section they are less 'traditional' fuddy duddy

valiumredhead Sat 06-Aug-11 15:41:33

www.thomaslloyd.com/range/aspen-modular/

<<want!>>

Mammonite Sat 06-Aug-11 18:26:49

Ours is a Thomas Lloyd actually (Sofasofa is a group of a few manufacturers including TL) Portland range. It's an "aniline" distressed finish leather, it does mark but like many of these things you notice the first 1 or 2 and then it just settles to a faintly distressed look. But I like the soft matte look rather than the shiny leather. There is stacks of choice really.

RachelHRD Sat 06-Aug-11 23:27:13

Have just got this from DFS in chocolate brown and it is great and very comfortable. I would recommend DFS over Next and M&S as the cushions are sewn in so they don't lose their shape or slide out.

Bought this one to go with our 7 year old other DFS leather sofas which still look great and have worn really well. I also have a very expensive Next leather chair which hasn't worn as well and I have to keep on pushing the cushions back in angry.

Would definitely recommend DFS - customer service also very good.

IloveDMs Sun 07-Aug-11 09:39:41

We have brown leather from John Lewis. They are very comfy.

YouDoTheMath Mon 08-Aug-11 12:09:44

What's the issue with brown leather sofas? I've noticed it before on here but never really got to the bottom of the "problem"...

I have one - it's great for wiping down if you have children. Not so great if you have cats. Mine jumps all over it so there are claw marks everywhere. Also she walks along the back of it, so when she loses her balance she grabs hold and...[wits end emoticon]

Grockle Tue 09-Aug-11 21:52:57

I don't know YouDoTheMath... they seem practical to me.

But I can't decide - leather or fabric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now