Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of fleas, please help!

(5 Posts)
Upsy1981 Thu 04-Aug-11 22:50:29

Has anyone any great suggestions for getting rid of fleas, both on cats (which is more for a Pets thread than here) but also in the home. I have treated the cats with Frontline on Sunday which is supposed to work in 24 hours but they still have them today. I am combing them with a flea comb to get rid of as many as I can but every time I think I'm getting somewhere there's more. I have treated all but one room in the house with a spray but ran out so have bought more now to do the remainder. I have been vacuuming repeatedly, washed all our bedding on 60 degrees but they still live! I am at the end of my tether, I'm not sure I can use anything else on the cats in conjunction with Frontline so am going to ring the vets in the morning but any top tips would be most welcome!

TIA

FreePeaceSweet Thu 04-Aug-11 23:07:13

Ok, we had this problem. You need a heavy duty steam cleaner. 60 degrees isn't hot enough. It should be at least 90. Start upstairs and steam your carpets, wooden floors (they live in the gaps and can hide so repeated treatments are needed) mattress, stairs, curtains, skirting boards. If this doesn't work then you need Rentokill. This happened to us and its a bugger. I'm allergic to flea bites and had to sleep in tucked in pyjamas with socks. Grrr. Good luck.

Upsy1981 Thu 04-Aug-11 23:11:39

Ooh thanks for that! My mum has a steam cleaner so I'll see if I can borrow it.

Pancakeflipper Thu 04-Aug-11 23:14:09

Those bomb things worked for us. We had to evacuate the house for the afternoon but worth it for non-itchy legs.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 05-Aug-11 13:21:31

Frontline isn't working , try Advocate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now