Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher problem - what next?

(8 Posts)
moragbellingham Wed 03-Aug-11 18:51:20

Everything is coming out with milky residue on it (which is removable).

I've tried
a) using salt when previously just used Finish All In One/Powerball
b) used a dishwasher cleaner and also cleaned the filters and arms
c) topped up the rinse aid.

I don't know what to do next - any ideas?

chuckeyegg Thu 04-Aug-11 14:29:53

Is a hotpoint? Mine does this all the time. I use these cleaners and it seems to help they are ones recommended by hotpoint and i have to run them through monthly. here

moragbellingham Thu 04-Aug-11 19:54:26

I've not seen those before - I just used a Finish one, maybe it need something a bit stronger, thanks.

We have a Neff BTW soconfused

whomovedmychocolate Thu 04-Aug-11 19:59:27

Soda crystals in a (not painted) upturned cup, hot cycle straight away. Longest cycle you can get. Soda crystals cost about £1.50 a pound in a bag from the laundry aisle of supermarket.

LordOfTheFlies Thu 04-Aug-11 22:50:13

chuckyegg I've used that cleaner in my dishwasher (Hotpoint)
Must get some more-note to self

I sometimes get the residue , sometimes a gritty, sandy residue.
Repairman told DH that the DW empties the whole salt dispenser once a month ( I suppose less if you use the DW more often)

Our water is very hard

whomovedmychocolate Fri 05-Aug-11 16:13:05

Incidentally those of you who are paying a lot for dishwasher cleaner - they are made from soda crystals and acetic acid (vinegar). Both of which are very cheap to buy and you get enough for five years in one trip!

moragbellingham Sun 14-Aug-11 20:52:32

Ooh thanks, I do have a bag of soda crystals from when I had to clean my old washing machine.

Once a month for the salt - I'll never remember thatgrin

judester Sun 14-Aug-11 22:12:39

I had a gritty residue and finally coughed up - in advance, more fool me - for a repair man. He was in the house for five minutes. There is a flat, grey pipe running down the centre of the back panel of the machine. It 'plugs in' underneath the spinning arm (you have to lift that bit out). Mine had become unplugged so not enough water was getting in. I ruefully told a friend about how I had forked out for such a simple problem. Turns out she had the same problem and managed to fix her machine as a result. Made me feel a little better. Maybe this will help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now