Talk

Advanced search

Does your cleaner clean your loo?

(31 Posts)
clara10 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:35:00

Hooray. We are going to hire a cleaner for 1 hour a week.

Can I ask - does your cleaner clean your loo? It's bad enough cleaning your own loo let alone someone elses.

Am I being silly, will she expect to include the inside of the loo with the bathroom? Or, as I am a little uncomfortable with it shall I do the inside of the loo myself?

SpottyFrock Tue 02-Aug-11 15:40:37

Well ours cleans the loos! I would certainly expect it but if you're not comfortable with it just tell them from the start. They never really get that scummy in a week and we have a foaming thing too. However, if someone bad a rather nasty bowel movement, I'd clean it rather than leave it for the cleaner as that's unfair even if it is usually my 5th old dd1!

SpottyFrock Tue 02-Aug-11 15:42:59

Just to add; don't expect too much in an hour! Ours comes for 2hours a week and certainly wouldn't get the whole house done so I get her to concentrate on the kitchen and bathrooms.

PuppyMonkey Tue 02-Aug-11 15:45:09

I don't know why but nasty bowel movement makes me grin.

I would certainly expect loos to be included, no point having a cleaner otherwise IMHO.

Catslikehats Tue 02-Aug-11 15:47:26

You are being silly - cleaners clean loos.

WyrdMother Tue 02-Aug-11 15:51:36

I worked as a self employed cleaner for a couple of years and I always did loo's, but I also always asked if the customer had any areas they wanted me to leave so if they don't ask, say.

In fact I'd rather do post nasty bowel movement loos than deal with precious ornaments (too nerve wracking) or windows (takes too long to get smear free imo).

clara10 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:53:00

Good, I am being silly. I know I'd end up frantically cleaning the loos the night before she's due.

I know it's not much time but I'm going to ask her to focus on something each week rather than get the lot done. Windows/ bathroom/ kitchen/ hanging washing/ hoovering/ dusting.

We have a small house smile

mousymouse Tue 02-Aug-11 15:53:44

mine doesn't. mainly because for her cleaning the loo means pouring in loo cleaner and wiping the seat.
so I have the agreement with her that she rather spent the 2 min hoovering than doing that.
I do the loos myself wiping under the seat and down the porcelain as well (have a 4y ds so that really needs doing...)

aliceliddell Tue 02-Aug-11 15:57:00

I have 2 PA's because I'm disabled; they do housework & cleaning, but I don't expect them to clean the toilet because dp is an able-bodied adult and has no reason to expect anyone to clean up his shit after him. I do regard it as a disrespectful thing to expect. Despite my guilt-tripping suggestions, I end up doing the sodding thing sometimes, because I am apparently the only one with a sense of smell.hmm

SpottyFrock Tue 02-Aug-11 15:59:19

We don't have a huge house but have a bathroom, ensuite and downstairs loo. In two hours she does these three rooms plus the kitchen so I Hoover and nobody dusts! grin

NettoSuperstar Tue 02-Aug-11 16:03:58

I'm hiring one too and will want the loo cleaned though I'll sort any gross mess first!
I'm going to try an hour to start for a two bed flat, which I want thoroughly dusted and hoovered, kitchen and bathroom cleaned, and beds changed.
Obviously it'll be cleaned by us in between times.
I'm going to get a roomba for the hovering.
I'll also want extras the odd time such as windows or the inside of cupboards, but I'll discuss that with her as and when.

I was a cleaner in a care home before I had to give up work due to disability so it's nothing I haven't done myself

SpottyFrock Tue 02-Aug-11 16:07:11

But Alice, it's not disrespectful to expect a cleaner to do it as that's what you're paying them for. I don't disrespect my cleaner, I make her a nice cup of tea every week and chat away about our kids. Her eldest is waiting for his alevel results to do medicine so she's been rubbish for a few weeks! grin

Likesshinythings Tue 02-Aug-11 16:08:18

Our cleaner tackles anything in her path - the woman is a domestic whirlwind. I love her more than life itself.

SpottyFrock Tue 02-Aug-11 16:09:31

As now see, I'd never ask someone to change our bedding. That's dh's sat morning job!

aliceliddell Tue 02-Aug-11 16:13:08

I have always considered issues of domestic labour and who does the shit-work to be fundamental issues of feminism, the personal is political, etc. I don't think it's acceptable to expect someone else to do it. My PA's are there to do the stuff I'd do were I not disabled. Cleaning up an able-bodied adult's shit isn't part of that. Maybe might be different if I'd specifically employed a toilet cleaner.

Chandon Tue 02-Aug-11 16:20:19

I have never known one who doesn't...

But, I would not have shit caked loos, I give them a check over every day, so it would not be horrendous. It's part of general cleaning though, isn't it? it woudl be odd to do floors, shower but not the loo.

I don't think loos are any worse than sinks or dirty cookers, it's all the same to me. When i worked as a cleaner myself, i did not have a particular dislike of toilets, unless someone left them splattered with poo. I have even cleaned school toilets!!! And cleaned hospital kitchens. The kitchens made me boak more (all that congealed food with napkins stuck in....)

Laquitar Tue 02-Aug-11 16:20:32

Are you sure that she agrees to come for an hour?

higgle Tue 02-Aug-11 16:22:12

Cleaning toilets isn't about cleaning up shit, it is about ensuring it is super clean and sparkly ( and polishing the outside and seat if you are me)

Catslikehats Tue 02-Aug-11 16:23:23

I don't know how you leave your loos aliceliddel but cleaning mine certainly doesn't involve her having to "clean up...adult's shit" hmm

clara10 Tue 02-Aug-11 16:31:22

Rest assured we are all pretty good with our aim and I would never leave the bathroom if there was any poo in/on/around the loo and this must be the same for DH too as I've never seen any. I always check after DS.

She is very local and has agreed to an hour a week though I might need her for a little more in the beginning as housework has been rather neglected around here for a while blush

ohanotherone Tue 02-Aug-11 16:37:22

Mine cleans the loo inside and out, puts blue stuff down it and then folds the toilet tissue into a v shape so I feel like royality when I next use it!

MABS Tue 02-Aug-11 16:42:43

so does mine! i loooove her

NettoSuperstar Tue 02-Aug-11 16:45:49

I've cleaned plenty of adult shit for minimum wage, but at home I clean my own.
I will still be asking my cleaner to scrub the (non shitty) toilet.

I don't see why not so long as I am paying her rate and when being polite and friendly.

SpottyFrock Tue 02-Aug-11 17:03:21

Alice, I guess what you're saying is that you don't agree with paying someone to do something you can physically do yourself? If so that's a different and more political argument. Our loos are pretty clean before cleaner arrives but she scrubs, wipes down and puts the blue stuff in. I pay her a fair wage and she does a job which she can fit in with school hours. I will soon have 4kids and dh works away lots so if I didn't have her, my house would be disgusting.

aliceliddell Tue 02-Aug-11 18:06:01

Yes Spotty, that's about it. But I am aware that cleaning loos is an activity reserved for working class women in general; men (as a group) don't need to notice it because the invisible army do it so they don't have to. Cf nappy changing, buying birthday cards, organising kids' playdates etc. I don't think this is a good situation, like women being directedn to the 'C' jobs in general - catering, caring, children, clerical, cleaning. Oh, guess what? They're all low paid jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now