Talk

Advanced search

getting the toilet bowl clean!

(10 Posts)
mollysmum82 Mon 01-Aug-11 15:54:32

Recently DH has stopped flushing the toilet after he urinates. It REALLY grosses me out but he insists he doesn't want to wake DD up from naps. So although I put Method toilet duct into the bowls every morning a lovely layer of impossible-to-remove scum seems to be developing, not to mention the smell.

Aside from removing DH permanently from the household (tempting) is there a good way of removing the scum from the bowls and leaving a fresh smell?

I think I've just made myself vomit. Sorry if I've made anyone else too!

Pootles2010 Mon 01-Aug-11 15:57:10

Does it wake your dd up? If it doesn't, maybe take your dh upstairs to the bathroom and show him that it doesn't!

He's being daft.

Apparently the best way to clean it properly is to have a non-scratch scourer that is just for cleaning the loo, donning a pair of rubber gloves and getting your hand down there... I've not quite psyched myself up to doing it yet though.

mousymouse Mon 01-Aug-11 15:59:35

denture tablets over night work really well on lime scale in the loo, as does a bottle of cola.

chirpchirp Mon 01-Aug-11 18:59:26

Yep - agree with Mousy - a 2 litre bottle of diet coke, pour it down, leave it for an hour or so and flush - sparkling porcelain!

Mandy2003 Mon 01-Aug-11 22:06:19

The more advanced version of Pootles2010s solution - use a mop, sponge or sucky cloth to take All The Water out of Bowl then use Cif and a sponge scourer!

Meanwhile thanking your lucky stars that DH is not a heavy drinker of alcohol or it would be hard limescale building up as quick as that grin

mollysmum82 Tue 02-Aug-11 13:05:12

Thank you for your ideas! I'm going out to buy a bottle of coke now! (and with restraint not chuck it DH)

fastweb Tue 02-Aug-11 13:08:03

De-scaling toilet cleaner.

Just squirt it under the rim like normal cleaner, leave it for a bit, then scrub with the loo brush.

schoolholidaymeanshotcrossmum Tue 02-Aug-11 18:27:19

i echo mousy - weirdly the cheaper and nastier the coke the better it works, denture tablets overnight once a week - and the lakeland tablets are good too.

My husband thinks not flushing is better for the environment. I keep telling him that this is my environment but he doesn't frigging listen. Other women have affairs - I gain a real pleasure out of (very occasionally) not recycling!

moragbellingham Wed 03-Aug-11 09:31:54

Ah ha! I thought I just lived in a very hard water area but now the real problem is obvious.
I have an eco-friendly, DD friendly, DH too!

I have tried no end of cola, Harpic Power tablets and industrial strength acids from Robert Dyas. All of them have an effect, but are not amazing so I use them in combination with a good scrub with a soft pumice stone. Unpleasant job - but it works.

Bonsoir Wed 03-Aug-11 12:27:36

The environment argument is easily won. If we let the environment win every time, we would return to the abysmally unhygienic standards of the past, where death and disease were rampant.

A bit of bleach is a good thing for human health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now