Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

silver plated money box has gone a yellow mess..help!

(10 Posts)
drawingalinebehindme Sun 31-Jul-11 17:09:25

It was given at the birth of my son 2 years ago by my late nan so although they are inexpensive i want to try and fix it...tried a wet wipe which made no difference and now i'm stuck!!

any advice?

Thank you

sungirltan Sun 31-Jul-11 17:10:43

yes mine too! any ideas gratefully tried out.

i did think of that silver dip stuff but i know from doing it with earrings etc that it just goes yellow again

Lilymaid Sun 31-Jul-11 17:13:18

Try polishing it up with a little white toothpaste or alternatively some bicarbonate of soda (make this into a thick paste and try polishing with the paste). If that doesn't work buy some Silvo.

drawingalinebehindme Sun 31-Jul-11 17:15:15

oh so i'm not a skank then it happens to everyone?!!

I thought it was strange as its just sat there untouched and was only because i was having a clear out i even noticed it :S and now i have noticed i'm sad!!

drawingalinebehindme Sun 31-Jul-11 17:16:27

oo i think i have some of that already so shall have a bash and report my findings...

Thank you!

belledechocchipcookie Sun 31-Jul-11 17:16:46

You can buy cloths from any jewellers. IIRC, putting it in a hot pan with some aluminimum foil also works (try google for this first though).

BertieBotts Sun 31-Jul-11 17:22:29

You have to clean silver regularly, because it does oxidise. I know my grandma always used to use a proper silver cleaner (silvo etc) but I don't know whether other stuff is just as good.

Fuzzled Sun 31-Jul-11 18:43:04

A silver cleaning cloth is a good investment once you've got it clean.

Just wipe it when you dust...

drawingalinebehindme Sun 31-Jul-11 19:13:06

How often is regular?

The bicarbonate of soda worked really well for most of it but not the annoying fiddly bits, plus its really messy as the paste cystalises as you go and end up with little powdered lumps everywhere!

Will have another attempt when i have more time and google these silver cloths that keeps coming up!!

Thank you all for helping

ChrissasMissis Sun 31-Jul-11 20:57:58

I would be very cautious about cleaning silver plate TOO often, as you will rub the plated silver off. That said, jewellers rouge is the best thing for cleaning silver. You can can buy Goddard's Silver Pad in most supermarkets, which is essentially the same thing. When you have applied it to the object and are happy that you have removed all of the tarnish, rinse the object thoroughly under running water, wipe dry with a soft cloth and then give it a blast with a hairdryer to make sure you haven't left any moisture behind. It shouldn't need doing again for a while after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now