Talk

Advanced search

It's August - can the Fledglings keep FLYing with children underfoot?!

(831 Posts)
BlueEyeshadow Fri 29-Jul-11 14:32:06

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome to August's edition of the Fledgling Flyers,
Meine Damen, Mesdames, Ladies! (although any Herren, Messieurs and Gentlemen would be very welcome too, I'm sure, and apologies for the show tunes now lodged in everyone's heads ...)

If you're trying to keep out of CHAOS over the summer holidays, with the dear children creating havoc all around, then pull up a chair, roll up your sleeves and join in the fun.

Fly Lady's website is here, but we don't recommend signing up for the emails unless you want an ironically cluttered inbox. I'll post the links to the information for every day this month and try to keep up with all the chat.

There are babysteps to get you started on forming a routine, and missions to do once each room is decluttered and, as the Fat Fairy says, it's amazing what you can do in fifteen minutes. We'll be starting August in the entrance, front porch and dining room, and sifting the sense from the cutesy language. smile

I notice from the archive that it's the thread's second birthday so I'm sure there'll be cake as well as plenty of brew, biscuit and wine - virtual, so no calories - along the way. Finally, a big thank you to CHB and Swan for leading us heroically through a hectic July! grin

Ooh, I'm in. Thank you Blue. Thank you CHB and Swan for last month.

Ihatecobwebs Fri 29-Jul-11 14:53:05

Just updating so I know where we are now

Done
Morning routine
Make pancakes for breakfast (holiday/weekend treat)
S/s
Make beds
Tidy living room
Meat from freezer
Having a quiet cup of tea and looking for brownie recipe
Soak dates
Clean washing away
Wash up
Zone cleaning
Zone missions to catch up
Make brownies
Vacuum through house
Unpack DS's bags
Paper file item
Play bills
Cook tea and leave in simmering oven
Lunch
Phone garage for car update
Email DH to say car is ready and we can collect tomorrow am

To Do
Post pay cheques
Allotment
Playground
Tea
Evening routine
Garden
Quilt blocks

Getting ready to go out now

LinzerTorte Fri 29-Jul-11 14:56:36

Marking my spot now, as I'll be away at the start of the month - in fact, I'll be away for a good part of August, although I hope to check in while I'm back in the UK.

Thanks for the new thread Blue and for leading us last month CHB and swan.

reastie Fri 29-Jul-11 16:05:55

marking my spot and can't believe august is nearly upon us already

elliepac Fri 29-Jul-11 16:25:41

Elliepac reporting for duty. Huge thanks to swan and chb for last month. I too am away for the first two weeks of August and possibly the last week as well but I shall keep checking in on you grin.

elliepac Fri 29-Jul-11 16:26:11

Oh and in answer to your question blue no I can't keep flying with children underfoot grin

CHBitchy Fri 29-Jul-11 19:41:06

<starts setting up the naughty corner bar> Any requests for decor this month? grin

elliepac Fri 29-Jul-11 19:56:55

I think we go for shabby chic this month chb grin. I also think, being as it is summer, we should abandon the wine and drink cocktails. Mine is a Singapore Sling please.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 29-Jul-11 22:35:37

I know I said I wouldn't be back till Monday, but I can't pass up a Singapore Sling if there are any still going!

CHBitchy Fri 29-Jul-11 23:57:02

Does the bar open before monday? Fuck it. Cocktails it is. Help yourself Blue grin

Toffeefudgecake Sat 30-Jul-11 09:58:58

<steps over the sleeping bodies of Blue, Ellie and CHB and picks way gingerly in between the empty bottles and glasses>

Just marking my place. Happy holidays to those of you who are going away. And thanks to CHB and Swan for running the thread last month.

Makingchanges Sat 30-Jul-11 13:06:57

Afternoon all

Just marking my place as am madly packing and cleaning for last bits before holiday tomorrow. Going away with inlaws so may venture back to vent on evenings wink.

Hope everyone is well - back ina week if not before smile

elliepac Sat 30-Jul-11 14:48:22

<<stirs, somewhat bleary eyed and surveys mess>>

Maybe cocktails weren't such a good idea grin.

CHBitchy Sat 30-Jul-11 18:23:44

<half opens an eye>

perhaps not Ellie, but it was fun. grin

<closes eye and pulls covers back over>

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sun 31-Jul-11 07:34:28

Hello smile

I shall join you all for august and see how I get on if you will have me? I will still be dropping in with the slatterns though, so will be very much a good housekeeping thread whore grin

Huge wave to Chb (i promise not to drop any cheerios, but if I do my dc will pick them up grin )

Today I have the very heavy, smelly and bloody hard job of emptying a stable and laying some rubber matting. The pampering will have to wait til this evening grin

CHBitchy Sun 31-Jul-11 16:25:33

hope you manage to get the matting sorted ok DDPW, Meant to tell you I figured out where the stray cheerio came from - found a half empty box in process of reclaiming the car. grin

Have had super productive day today. Hopefully not hit burn out hmm See you all for a fresh month of babysteps and decluttering in the morning.

Fuzzled Sun 31-Jul-11 18:41:43

Hi! Can I come fly and then crash and burn hideously with you?

Just started flying and I have a clean (thanks Bicarb of Soda!) sink and tied up shoelaces grin

So far, this seems do-able (barring the 5 days away I've been roped into! hmm) & non frightening!

I await a house that I can shamelessly invite people into! grin

messymammy Sun 31-Jul-11 22:44:58

Can I join in? As you can see from my name, I am messy grin

I've been in love and hate with fly lady for the past 18 months, but tonight I'm starting at my babysteps all over again.
My sink will be clean going to bed......I think!

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Mon 01-Aug-11 07:28:44

Good Morning smile

It is the first of August, my ds will be one in 18 days time! A good reason to keep chipping away at the housework as we have a party on 20th. Plus i definitely need to go through the toy boxes before his birthday hmm

Bad start this morning, ds woke at 6.30 with very sore teeth, so not dressed yet and struggling to get going.

TO DO
Breakfast
Get dressed
Make beds
Clear up breakfast stuff
Get dcs dressed
Hang washing out
Empty dishy
Put another washload on
Go to horses (3 to do today)
Drinks and snacks
Sort some washing out (fold/put away)
Make lunch
DS nap
5mins declutter in dining room (hopeful)
Sweep out front porch
DD paddling pool?
Dinner
Tidy up
DCs bed
Shine my sink grin
Dishy on
Washload on
Feed cat
Shower
Bed

BlueEyeshadow Mon 01-Aug-11 08:16:24

Pinch and a punch - the first of the month!
Survived a hectic weekend and we've ordered our new kitchen! grin

Here are the links:
Babystep - Go shine your sink!

Mission - Sweep your front porch.

Fuzzled and messymammy - Hi and welcome to the thread!

My to do list for today mainly consists of keeping DS2 entertained as his big brother is staying with the IL's for a couple of days. Experience shows that DS2 will want a lot of attention... Fortunately the sun's come back so we can go to the park and play in the garden. smile

Toffeefudgecake Mon 01-Aug-11 08:50:47

Good morning. Thanks for the links, Blue. How exciting to have a new kitchen on order!

Welcome, Messy. Did you shine your sink last night? It really does cheer me up when I come down to a clean sink, so I think it's worth doing.

Dedalus - welcome to the thread also. Sorry you had a difficult start to the day. I used Anbesol Baby teething gel for my DS when he was teething. If that didn't work, I gave him Calpol. I had to use the remains of the tube for my own toothache recently and was really impressed by it. It numbed the gum - and tasted good too.

Am not dressed yet, so am already disobeying Flylady's recommendations, but the DC wanted their breakfasts first. Have a busy day today:

Breakfasts done
Add b/f dishes to d/w
Wipe kitchen counters
Tidy dining-room table
Take washing upstairs
Put next load of washing on
Swish and swipe in bathroom
Put clean towels out
DS1's dyslexia tutor here at 9.30
Keep DS2 out of the way of the lesson somehow (play game with him, maybe, but rather hope he will play with his Playmobil so I can...)
Put washing away
Declutter our bedroom for 15 minutes (mum is sleeping there on Friday night, so have an incentive to get the room sorted)
Take DS2 to his friend's house
Take DS1 to his follow-up appointment with psychiatrist at 11am
Collect DS2 and bring him and his friend home for lunch
Er - but we have no lunch blush, so buy something from corner shop
Make phone calls
Online shop
Buy ingredients for dinner after DS2's friend has gone home

That'll do for now.

Hope you all have a good day.

Toffeefudgecake Mon 01-Aug-11 08:52:20

Interesting thread on feminism and Flylady here.

Pameladej Mon 01-Aug-11 08:53:31

Marking my spot so I can continue to be inspired to attempt to make my house less of a mess!

Fuzzled Mon 01-Aug-11 09:01:37

My tasks today:
Up and dress - DONE!
Dress & feed DS - DONE!
Prod DH to go to work grin - DONE!
Clean downstairs loo - DONE!
Dust dining room
Lay away washing
DS down for nap
Hoover hall (and tidy/declutter porch)
Have friend for coffee
Make lunch & feed DS
Play with DS
DS down for nap
Sort my work room a bit more
Play with DS
Cook dinner & feed DS
Eat
Bedtime for DS
Bedtime for me! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now