Talk

Advanced search

Greasy cupboards euw!

(18 Posts)
sungirltan Fri 29-Jul-11 11:07:55

please help - i'm renting a quite nice flat with greasy scum all over the outside of the cupboards - its all in the handles and everything. i've tried kitchen spray and cilit bang etc etc. its doesn't work at all - just took a tiny layer off the top.

any ideas?

tia

kildare34 Fri 29-Jul-11 12:15:19

Hi sungirltan! I have found that Cif cream is the business for tackling grease on kitchen cupboards. I have a cream kitchen and the cupboards around the hob can get very greasy. Good luck smile

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 29-Jul-11 15:53:45

You could also try good old soda crystals. V v cheap, dissolve them in very hot water (use gloves as they dry out my hands) and that should cut through most scum.

But if it is bordering on the industrial waste level, maybe sugar soap? Buy from DIY stores.

sungirltan Fri 29-Jul-11 19:59:55

thanks folks - think i may buy all 3! its a short term let whilst we look for a house to buy but i just cant look at them - so grim!

GattoRosso Sat 30-Jul-11 17:54:27

Not quite sure where you would find it, but my mum uses this stuff called 'sugar soap' - it is amazing at getting the greasy scumminess off kitchen cupboards and the like. Maybe somewhere like homebase/B&Q?

Whenisitmysleepytime Sun 31-Jul-11 07:23:37

Try baby wipes. I got the greasy layer off my cooker extractor fan with them. Weird to think what's in them to do that but also leave ds' bum nice too! smile

Timeforabiscuit Sun 31-Jul-11 11:57:53

I tried washing powder and it worked a treat blush

sungirltan Sun 31-Jul-11 16:56:16

not been able to get sugar soap yet but i have both b wipes and washing powder - amazing - will be trying both later - thanks folks

crumbletastic Sun 31-Jul-11 17:09:56

I'll second the washing powder as you probably have it in anyway? Biological washing powder contains lipases which break down the grease.

Snackalot Sun 31-Jul-11 19:54:23

Sugar soap from B&Q - it's fairly cheap.

chocolatespiders Sun 31-Jul-11 20:00:30

Sugar soap is with the decorating stuff in homebase etc.. normally yellow and in a spray

Gonzo33 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:46:26

As an Army Wife, from a long lime of Army Wives I would say either Soda Crystals or Biological washing Powder are the better options.

sungirltan Mon 01-Aug-11 16:47:35

right so the plan is to crack on with the washing powder tonight but if it doesnt work go to b & q tomorrow. just had all dd's pals here - i never clean until after they have gone he he

Sanesometimes1 Mon 01-Aug-11 21:45:07

just a quick question the the end of this thread - how exactly do you use the washing powder ? make it into a paste or just sprinkle into hot water ? thanks in advance.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 01-Aug-11 21:47:30

Dissolve bio washing powder in a little very hot water so it foams but is a loose solution (paste is too much). Let it cool a bit so you don't burn your hand and then use a scrubby sponge to apply and the enzymes eat the grease up. Remember to rinse with soapy water afterwards to avoid residues.

Sanesometimes1 Mon 01-Aug-11 23:09:04

many thanks whomovedmychocolate will give this a go tomorrow.

sungirltan Tue 02-Aug-11 20:34:37

i did it last night - should have let it foam a bit but it did work - the water that came off the cupboards was utterly foul coloured but it really worked and i didnt have to go all the wya to b & q!!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 02-Aug-11 22:13:24

Glad it worked out for you sungirltan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now