Talk

Advanced search

How to get rid of sticky tape!

(9 Posts)
tigerlillyd02 Wed 27-Jul-11 17:31:07

I could do with some advice.

I've been looking for a set of multicoloured canisters to match my kitchen for ages and finally come across the perfect set when out on a daytrip a few days ago.

These canisters were secured together with selotape. When I took it off, it's left all the sticky part behind on the canisters.

I've tried soaking them in hot, soapy water and used some cleaning stuff on them but nothing is working. I tried scrubbing, but if I scrub too hard the paint starts to come off too which I don't want!

Is there anything you know of that I can use to remove this?

I can't take them back as it was too far away, but really want to use these!

SleepySuzy Wed 27-Jul-11 17:32:19

Have you tried baby wipes? Another good one is a pencil rubber (eraser).

peeriebear Wed 27-Jul-11 17:32:53

WD40. Works for everything sticky stuff related.

tigerlillyd02 Wed 27-Jul-11 17:36:27

I'll have a go with the baby wipes and rubber in a mo. I don't have any WD40 but will certainly go out and buy some if nothing works!!

chrisrobin Wed 27-Jul-11 17:40:38

Try furniture polish. Spray it on leave it for a minute then rub it off with a duster.

tigerlillyd02 Wed 27-Jul-11 17:45:06

Will do, I'm going off to try these tips now so will let you know if they work!

tigerlillyd02 Wed 27-Jul-11 18:04:18

OK, I tried the furniture polish first as it was to hand and worked a treat! They're passable now. Have a few scratches on from me scrubbing but I suppose you have to look more closely to see!! Thank you for all your help and preventing me doing any further damage!

linspins Thu 28-Jul-11 21:18:50

I had a drawing taped to a window for ages, and when I took it down, it left sticky stuff on the glass. I tried WD40, 2 different kinds of proper "sticky stuff'' remover, baby wipes, white spirit and also neat washing up liquid. The only thing that shifted it was nail varnish remover. Yay! But not sure if that would have been a good idea on your canisters if they are plastic?
But glad the furniture polish helped.

tigerlillyd02 Fri 29-Jul-11 21:01:19

I'm not sure what they are tbh, they're like tin / steel? It was the paint on them which was coming away the more I scrubbed so I'd assume nail varnish remover would have done the same thing.
However, your tip has come in very handy as the back window of my car still has sticky tape on from when it was advertised despite many attempts to remove it!! So, I can now get to work on that too!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now