Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone beat this? Washing machine is 31 yrs old and still going strong!

(14 Posts)
scartette Tue 26-Jul-11 20:25:19

Our current washing machine was left behind in our house by the previous owner who bought it new in 1980. It is a ' Phillips variotronic 082 ' . Apart from the odd hiccup, which has been repairable, it is working perfectly and adequately services a family of 4.

Chipotle Wed 27-Jul-11 10:40:44

My Granny has a top loader the must be relatively ancient I remember it being there as a child and I'm now 34... I remember being fascinated that you had to lift all your wet washing into the second tub for spinning.

penneyann Wed 27-Jul-11 21:29:31

We have one thats 22 yrs old but its not very reliable and a bit of a rust bucket. Will end up in dump soon I'd say. 31 YRS IS AMAZING!

nickschick Wed 27-Jul-11 21:32:06

You do know now youve said it.........

notquitenormal Wed 27-Jul-11 21:41:53

Not a wsing machine, but we had a Husqkvana dishwasher from the mid-seventies. DH's mate has it now...still going.

harbingerofdoom Thu 28-Jul-11 20:47:02

Not a washing machine,but my parents have a working 1950s freezer. Top loading with two big black plastic covers/flaps. Only just bought a new one as they were having trouble reaching into it!

MrsGerardButler Thu 28-Jul-11 20:48:38

You do know it's going to pack in tomorrow?

orienteerer Thu 28-Jul-11 20:49:39

My clock radio (which still looks contemporary), still fully functioning, will be 32 years old in August.

sunnylabsmum Thu 28-Jul-11 21:01:54

we sold our 31 yr old tumble dryer (with the original instruction booklet) when we left cyprus- still going strong but needed the space in the removals....still miss it!!! and guess its still going strong.

Wallace Thu 28-Jul-11 21:07:18

25+ year old tumble dryer. We got a new one but old one was stll going strong

MaureenMLove Thu 28-Jul-11 21:21:32

No electrical gadgets, but my dressing gown is 22 years old and my slippers are 32 years old! Bit of a blush I feel, thinking about it!

Oh the ironing board is over 20 years old too! Clearly, I have better things to spend my money on! grin

scartette Thu 28-Jul-11 21:45:27

Thanks everyone. Was just curious. Looks like ours is the oldest,fully working one after all. Lol Maureen at dressing gown etc. You're not exactly hard on footwear are you? Shoes must last forever!

emsyj Thu 28-Jul-11 22:06:16

My mum has an ancient brown Hotpoint tumble drier that she bought to dry my sister's nappies when she was a baby. She turned 41 in May shock!!!

She has only had 2 washing machines in her entire married life (she's now 72). First of all a Hotpoint top loader that lasted until I was in 6th form, then a Miele which still looks like new and (fingers and everything else crossed) hasn't caused any problems.

PhyllisDiller Thu 28-Jul-11 22:33:55

My parents cooker is older than me apparently, not by much but in a few years time it will hit 40, its a devil to cook on though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now