Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Washing not coming clean

(25 Posts)
Zil131 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:19:21

I have DSs aged 18m and 3.6, so lots of washing and very little time. I have to confess that I am guilty of the following:
1. Allow DSs to get very very grubby
2. Leave dirty clothes to smoulder in wash basket for 2 days
3. Throw all washing on a 40 degree rapid cycle
4. Use cheap supermarket brand non-bio detergent
But stuff doesn't really come clean.... Which of my habits do I need to recify for best results...??

wellwisher Tue 26-Jul-11 11:21:30

Don't use rapid cycle. Makes a big difference in my machine, anyway!

mousymouse Tue 26-Jul-11 12:44:40

agree about long cycle (it's not like you need to turn the drum yourself) and bio powder. oh the revelation grin
a cup of soda crystals directly in the drum are good too.

valiumredhead Tue 26-Jul-11 13:24:41

Long cycle and Ariel Actilift grin

ajaybaines Tue 26-Jul-11 13:27:21

Just coming onto find out the answer as I have this problem too (although i think it maybe because I overfill the drum) but can I just say, what a marvellously written OP!

You've completely eradicated the need for about twenty back and forth posts there, you are very efficient! I'm very jealous!

HairBearz Tue 26-Jul-11 13:43:32

Please could someone post the method for using soda crytals and vinegar. Are they used together or separately, and at what temp? I've been and bought these and would like to spruce up the old machine later. Thanks

mousymouse Tue 26-Jul-11 13:51:04

soda crystals = a cup full directly into drum
white vinegar = half a cup or so into the conditioner dispenser

great for a service wash.

Zil131 Tue 26-Jul-11 13:51:28

Why thank you ajaybaines! Although actually maybe I should have added in 'over fill the drum' aswell.
I will make the effort to put the washing on slightly earlier, so it can have a full cycle (rather than a rapid one) before I hang it out and go out for the day.

Is Bio powder bad for little skins, or it is just a case of try it and see?

HairBearz Tue 26-Jul-11 13:53:04

thanks mousey - both at the same time?

mousymouse Tue 26-Jul-11 13:54:46

bio powder is fine for most people (ds and I both have exzema and don't feel a difference).
just try it.

mousymouse Tue 26-Jul-11 13:55:19

I use both in the same service wash at 95º

SydneyB Tue 26-Jul-11 13:59:09

I've never understood the difference between bio and non-bio but had it in my head that non-bio = 'good', bio = 'evil'. Not sure why... So, bio cleans better?

mousymouse Tue 26-Jul-11 14:11:50

bio = enzymes that break up dirt
non-bio = no enzymes

non-bio was supposed to be more gentle to the skin but that has been disproven.

SydneyB Tue 26-Jul-11 14:14:08

So who are the people who care about the enzymes then?

Solo Tue 26-Jul-11 14:15:33

My washing is never clean either, despite using Ariel or Surf and washing soda or Oxywash. I think it's the machine. It's never been as good as my deceased 20+yo Zanussi sad they don't make em like they used to.

Solo Tue 26-Jul-11 14:17:48

I found Actilift a great expensive disappointment too!

ElbowFan Tue 26-Jul-11 14:53:03

Bio also = enzymes which will eat your lambswool sweater!

Solo Tue 26-Jul-11 16:59:59

shock really Elbow?

ElbowFan Tue 26-Jul-11 18:07:15

Well, I'd put a washload in, added the tablets, fabric conditioner and set it to go... some little while later when I come to empty and hang there is my beautiful cream lambswool jumper covered in what looked like cotton wool - it was almost see through - Never again!!

Solo Tue 26-Jul-11 18:10:25

Surely that was a hand wash only job though?

mousymouse Tue 26-Jul-11 19:00:33

yep, that is right. the enzymes in bio detergent 'eat' proteins (which most stains are made of). so for wool and silk you need to use shampoo or special wool detergent.

ElbowFan Tue 26-Jul-11 19:48:03

I use non-bio on other similar woolies with no ill effects. (Hate hand washing!)

NickNacks Tue 26-Jul-11 20:03:25

OMG I was about to write almost the exact same OP.

I have just changed from Fairy non-bio to Ariel actilift and haven't noticed a difference.

I think it might just be the machine. 8 yr old (to us) re-conditioned Hotpoint. Would you expect it to be passed its best?

Seona1973 Tue 26-Jul-11 22:36:34

I use bio powder (Ariel or persil or Daz but only when it is on offer!) and normally do a proper (longer!) cycle. I have a time saver option on the machine that can cut some time off the cycle which makes it shorter but not as short as the quick wash cycle. I only use the quick washes for small loads that arent very dirty - they are not for full loads (according to my machine instructions)

timidviper Tue 26-Jul-11 22:43:51

I find all the dirty marks come out yet stuff comes out with greasy marks on at times that I didn't know they had when they went in!

I have a lovely red top that invariably looks clean till I put it on then find another grease mark sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now