Talk

Advanced search

when do you clean with 2 little dc at home?

(7 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 25-Jul-11 12:23:25

ds is 2. dd is 3 mo. nursery has finished for ds for the summer so i'm technically a sahm till september. confused

when do you clean with 2 little dc at home?

IF i can get them both to sleep at the same time then i reward myself with a cuppa and some peace and quiet.do i have to give this up?

any advice welcome although if you tell me to lower my standards then i might have to ask how as i'm pretty slack already! blush

Huffpot Mon 25-Jul-11 13:40:25

I have an 11 month old and a 22 month old and I have to admit to being the same as you - IF they ever sleep together I sit and have a hot coffee on my own which is heaven. Normally I get about 2 hours out if it so squeeze in a bit of heavy housework
Somedays though I'm a terrible mum and will put the telly on for them so I can mop without them doing a slippery dance
I mainly try and keep on top of the every day stuff like washing up and washing - some areas are a disaster zone in our house!

PhyllisDiller Mon 25-Jul-11 14:22:18

I have 2 round my ankles, one naps in the afternoon the other would normally be at pre-school for a few afternoons. Definitely not giving up my afternoon cup of tea!

I do a good blast of house work at the weekend when DH can occupy them, then I keep on top of it through the week, usually an hour in the morning while I'm having breakfast, I do a wash a day at least, so that goes on then. Lunch is a 12 on the dot so that the small one can nap straight after, I have my break until about 2, then I go off and do jobs until the end of nap time. If DD is here then they are jobs that she can ‘help’ with or play near me or she can colour or whatever.

I’ll also do a good hour after they have gone to bed so I like to have them in by half 7 at the latest, (sad life) but I would rather do that and wake up to a tidy house.

Other stuff that makes life easier is cooking at the weekend and filling the freezer, that saves loads of time (and mess). I also make sure I have easy meals for when it all gone wrong (chicken dippers and things). I never 'cook' on a Friday as I'm completely worn out by then so I get pizzas to throw in the oven and eat with salad.

I'm never without those disposable wipes for the kitchen floor and I have been known to sweep the carpet underneath the high chair to save getting the hoover out. The other huge time saver is not ironing! I iron work shirts and that's about it.

I went on a time saving mission because this time next month I will have 3 DC's!

Meglet Mon 25-Jul-11 15:44:32

Hardly ever TBH. When they finally decide to slow down and nap I always need to flake out too.

Having said that they are out with my stepmum this afternoon so I'm having a good tidy. Trying to do it with them in the house is futile, they make mess around what I'm doing and squabble and holler when I turn my back.

iambach Mon 25-Jul-11 16:15:48

I have 3 dc now 2 4 and 6. It is only now that i can leave them to play and do some housework although this means sacrificing the room they are in!

It does get easier. I remember when mine were newborn, 21 months and 4. It was like a jumble sale in our house everyday! I love to have a good clear out, sometimes have a car boot sale, sometimes pop stuff up iattic and rotate toys. The less stuff we have the less mess there is. We also live in a tiny 2 bed cottage so it is bursting at the seams. Lucckily we have a big garden that the children can play out in and its only now they are a bit bigger i can get on with stuff while they play.

DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR CUP OF TEA ...HAVEING A BREAK AND KEEPING YOURSELF SANE IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN HOUSEWORK!!!

bacon Tue 26-Jul-11 12:50:39

Pretty well impossible with 5 yr and 2 yr olds. I do a lot late at night. Clean the bathroom when they are in the bath,

Luckily my MIL has them on one afternoon so I do alot then, my hubby works most days and is self employed so is hardly ever available.

DS2 goes to nursery for two whole days and thats a blessing but usually Im catching up on business then.

This is a problem and to be honest I think you have to let go over your head for the first 4 years.

I did have a cleaner for a while but they never last perhaps you could have someone once a fortnight?

Whenisitmysleepytime Tue 26-Jul-11 13:48:22

well they've been asleep for over 1.5h! and i have hung out washing and got down all the cobwebs that have been bugging me.

i have also had a cuppa and mn and watched tv. smile
glad its not just me that NEEDS that me time!

unfortunately there is no £ for a cleaner and with family living 40 mins to 5h away when they come over i can't catch up on cleaning etc. (besides i need to have the house clean for visitors iyswim)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now