Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for removing Blu-Tac from a carpet?

(9 Posts)
RainboweBrite Sun 24-Jul-11 17:58:40

Hi All,
My DS accidentally trod some Blu-tac into his carpet. As it is in his bedroom, I am not too worried, but it would be nice to get rid of it all the same. We have tried vacuuming it and scraping it off with a knife, but didn't have much success.

Any tips, oh lovely MN experts?

DavidDickinsonsTan Sun 24-Jul-11 18:04:35

we have loads stuck to various carpets in th dc room, so will watch and hope someone 'in the know' comes along.

MumToTheBoy Sun 24-Jul-11 18:09:22

Can you try freezing it? Maybe with an ice cube? I don't know really, just something I think I've heard before!! I think it makes it easier to get out when not sticky, or something like that, although I could be thinking of chewing gum

januaryjojo Sun 24-Jul-11 19:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 24-Jul-11 20:23:46

Aaaargh I spent ages on Friday cutting blue-tac out of DS bedroom rug.
It's quite a long pile so I've managed to disguise the baldy bits wink

You can get stuff to remove sticky plaster (it used to be called Zoff but name might have changed) Chemists should sell it
Or Lakeland Ltd sell 'sticky stuff remover'

These would be worth a try before resorting to scissors.

Though in my defence I didn't have time as DS was having a sleepover.

RainboweBrite Tue 26-Jul-11 11:42:56

Ooh thanks, some really good ideas there.

I've often used the old Blu-Tac to get rid of Blu-Tac trick on walls and doors, but didn't think of trying it on carpets!

I shall give it a go (but not today, as I'm having a lazy one!)

lawnimp Tue 26-Jul-11 11:45:18

the only way is what january says, you have to pick it off. lego bricks are good for this - you can sort of push it off. or use the hoover pipe attachment and keep pushing it off (iykwim). easier to ban the stuff imogrin

scartette Tue 26-Jul-11 22:33:42

Funny, just read about this today in a womans mag. It was by Aggie-she of Kim and Aggie off the telly. I think what she said was to use a new chunk of blu-tac to get the other one off IYSWIM. Failing this , try softening the stuck-in bit with warm water and then use a small comb to try and get it out by continually combing up the carpet IYSWIM. Dont know if this works or not but thats what Aggie says. Good luck.

RainboweBrite Thu 28-Jul-11 21:14:05

Cheers again. I have decided on reflection that I won't be trying to get rid of it, and in fact, 8 year old DS will. I won't break it to him just yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now