Talk

Advanced search

Minimum hours for cleaner

(10 Posts)
Clarence15 Sat 23-Jul-11 13:18:56

I'm thinking about getting a cleaner. I work 4 days a week, dh works 6 and we have 2 dcs 4&9. I'm finding I spend half the weekend cleaning and feel guilty that I'm not spending it with the dcs.

However we can't really afford much, so what the minimum no of hours you could reasonably expect a cleaner to do? We have a small house, it's a converted bungalow with 3 beds (1lg 2small) a living room kitchen and 1 bathroom. Would it be worth only getting it done once a fortnight instead of weekly to cut down the cost? I need the bathroom and kitchen cleaned and then the rest dusted and hoovered, and kitchen floor mopped.

Shinyshoes1 Sat 23-Jul-11 13:35:32

My cleaner charges £7.50 an hour with minimum of 2 hours. I have her once or twice a week depending on how lazy busy I am

Shinyshoes1 Sat 23-Jul-11 13:36:42

Re-reading your post what about agency cleaner once a fortnight, I think you can just get them in as and when u need them and are not tied to you regularly

NettoSuperstar Sat 23-Jul-11 13:38:16

I'm hoping for two hours once a week for a two bed flat with two of us in it, and then extras (windows/oven/scrubbing out cupboards) as and when.
A friend of a friend is a cleaner so my friend is passing on my details and getting a price for me.

strawberrypink Sat 23-Jul-11 13:50:50

clarence15,
hi i'm a mum of 5 and i do cleaning it sounds you would need someone every other week for 3 hours make sure you get references and you have some one who speaks english. i hope that helps smile

nannyl Sat 23-Jul-11 18:50:44

my cleaner does 2 hours once a week (£20)

best £20 i spend!

Clarence15 Sat 23-Jul-11 19:23:01

Do you think I could get away with 2hrs once a fortnight or would that not be enough time? £40 a month I could just about justify but not much more at the moment. Do I just need to get my mop out myself?!confused

Ripeberry Sat 23-Jul-11 19:34:24

Problem with getting a cleaner in is that you end up cleaning everything first before they come grin.I would LOVE to have a cleaner....dream.

NettoSuperstar Sat 23-Jul-11 21:19:24

I am not cleaning before my cleaner comes!
I'll leave the cleaning for her but make her a lovely cuppa and be a decent person who is good to work for.
Cleaning before your cleaner comes is madness, surely?

Mandy2003 Sat 23-Jul-11 21:48:31

My Dad has a cleaner for 2 hours a fortnight (£20). That suits both of them as she has another customer on alternate weeks, then 3 days regular agency work as well. I'm sure that will be fine Clarence15 if you find the right person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now