Talk

Advanced search

UVA glue patch on kids carpet

(17 Posts)
sunchild77 Fri 22-Jul-11 11:22:03

<wail> How can I get it off?

Help!

linspins Fri 22-Jul-11 14:38:58

UVA is water based I think. So if it's still wet, scrape as much up with a tea spoon, then sponge it, rinsing the sponge frequently. Obviously try not to get toooooo much water on carpet, but water does dry eventually! If it has dried, you need to gently soften it somehow before you wash it out...a slightly damp cloth maybe?

Someone else might have some other good ideas?

sunchild77 Fri 22-Jul-11 14:52:35

Thanks linspin, but its totally rock hard, its an area about the size of a large palm..
I mean PVA not UVA if that helps at all!

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 14:58:05

The only thing that I have found that PVA out of clothes (carpet's not much different) is proper soap flakes (like Lux) with warm water - however, not sure how your carpet would take this so probably best to test in a inconspicuous place.

Hope this helps and good luck - I've found carpet to be quite temperamental in the past.

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 14:59:10

Sorry meant to say if not call the manufacturer (name should be on the bottle) and ask what they recommend, it won't be the first time they've had such a question grin

Ponders Fri 22-Jul-11 15:01:00

I think you need to use cold water on it - I def heard that once & I can remember having permanent patches on kids' school clothes from them going straight into the wash & the warm water setting the stain.

(but I will google...)

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 15:03:34

Yes don't use straight warm water, if it's water only it's got to be cold. I know it's soap flakes and am not sure that they will dissolve in cold water so warm water on the tepid side would be best.

Ponders Fri 22-Jul-11 15:06:26

hmm, google not terribly helpful (but one site did say check with manufacturer, as mangomousse says smile)

or you could try nail polish remover...or meths...or even lighter fuel (it shifts chewing gum!)

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 15:07:54

Wouldn't use a solvent - try the soap flakes, it's what I use on clothes when they get pva'd - just test your carpet first!

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 15:11:31

I just googled "removing pva from carpet" and a glue problems website came up:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6234330_remove-pva-glue-clothes.html

Ponders Fri 22-Jul-11 15:18:48

Mmm, that's the one that says 1) contact manufacturer! & it goes on to suggest solvents

but this might be the thing to try first:

'Soak in room temperature water for 24 hours if the glue has already dried. It needs to soak for many hours in order to soften the glue enough that it can be scraped off. Try using a stiff cleaning brush to remove the glue from the cloth fibers, and then wash with laundry detergent. This may need to be repeated to remove all of the glue.'

as it's only water it couldn't make it any worse?

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 15:34:59

Yes, but I think I would try the laundry detergent before the solvent which could take the colour out of the carpet. Don't know if carpet is as colour fast as clothing also depends on what the carpet is made from I suppose - if it's wool it might be more amiable to being scraped and washed and solvented, if it's manmade it might just melt! Mind you I don't think that wool carpet likes getting wet does it!

OP says it has set rock hard - have you tried giving it a brisk scrub with a stiff brush or a blunt knife - if the carpet will take it that is. Sometimes when I get it on clothes and it dries it can be sort of picked off.

I think I would call the manufacturer of the glue first.

linspins Fri 22-Jul-11 16:02:40

(yes, I meant PVA too!!). When it dries rock hard at school on the glue brushes, we just soak them in water, and it dissolves. I can't see how solvents would help a water based thing. Ponders has it right I think.

mangomousse Fri 22-Jul-11 16:06:07

Didn't Ponders say solvents? I still say I would use cold water and soap flakes.

Ponders Fri 22-Jul-11 16:20:25

I did mention solvents (googling can lead you into wicked ways grin)

I think linspins meant this bit though:

'Soak in room temperature water for 24 hours if the glue has already dried. It needs to soak for many hours in order to soften the glue enough that it can be scraped off. Try using a stiff cleaning brush to remove the glue from the cloth fibers, and then wash with laundry detergent. This may need to be repeated to remove all of the glue.'

which fits with soaking the brushes at school.

sunchild, it might be a good idea to soak a clean teatowel (or similar) & lay it on top of the dried glue to give it a chance to really wet the glue.

Or nip at it with fine scissors.

(Or get a new carpet wink)

linspins Fri 22-Jul-11 17:55:04

Yes, the bit about soaking! Good luck.
I'm in need of advice about getting body lotion off a carpet now that might need solvents? Any advice please on my thread!

LordOfTheFlies Sat 23-Jul-11 00:13:31

My DS has an Ikea rug in his room. I have a NO BLU-TAC rule on carpet but of course the little toad ignores me and there were several, fossilised lumps of Blu-Tac caught up in it.
Had to cut it out,there was no way this was going to dissolve
Luckily the rug has long pile so it hides the dodgy patches <<sigh>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now