Talk

Advanced search

I need to clean my oven... but am pregnant

(7 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 22-Jul-11 10:08:11

Is there a way I can do it without poisoning myself?

I have asked DH to do it and 'he hasn't got round to it' and I expect he never will. And if he does then it will probably be a rubbish job.

I don't mind doing it really, it isn't one of those jobs I really hate but I need to know if there is a safe way to do it when pregnant? I'm 30 weeks if that makes any difference.

Is it just the oven cleaner chemicals that makes it unsafe? If so then I could try to do it with just hot water and jif or something?

Advice greatly received, as the shelves are about to grow their own legs! grin

reikizen Fri 22-Jul-11 10:13:48

I would honestly not worry about it. Unless you plan to actually sit in the oven with the fumes. Just open some windows and get to it.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 22-Jul-11 10:18:00

Ah I did wonder if I should just crack on and do it. My kitchen is huge so ventilation isn't an issue and I never really get my head stuck in there. i seem to have long enough arms to reach the crap without needing a headlamp! grin

<waits for someone to come along and completely disagree with reikizen!>

malinois Fri 22-Jul-11 10:28:05

Give your DH the option of either doing it himself (and doing a proper job of it) or paying for a mobile oven cleaning service. We use www.ovenclean.com who have local franchises - they are very good.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 22-Jul-11 10:33:06

malinois - they don't have a franchise near us unfortunately. All the local ones to us are really expensive and we really can't afford it.

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Sat 23-Jul-11 07:36:53

I don't think I would clean it myself with chemicals (am also pregnant). The fumes are pretty horrid! An alternative is to put an oven tray filled with water in the oven for a while (with the oven on) so the dirt softens and then clean it with bicarb and lemon juice. Takes a bit of elbow grease (I've only done it once but it was quite hard work) but better than making yourself sick with fumes.

Or point out to your DH that you are growing a baby for him and he'd better do the oven this weekend!

When you replace your oven, get a pyroletic one - is brilliant! No more cleaning!

Squirrelsmum Sat 23-Jul-11 08:20:12

If you make up a fairly thick paste of Bi-carbonate of Soda and water. Coat that onto the insides of the oven, I usually leave the racks in there and do them at the same time and turn the oven up very very hot until the gunk starts to brown off and burn, then turn the oven off and open the door allowing to cool completely, I usually leave it overnight.
Once cool scrape the stuff off and the grease comes away with it pretty much some bits you have to scrub, wipe down with straight white vinegar and rinse with water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now