Talk

Advanced search

New bed - recommendations please.

(13 Posts)
springbelle Thu 21-Jul-11 23:07:31

We are about to purchase a new Kingsize bed so......

1) Where is the best place to purchase it from?

2) How much shall we spend? We are prepared to be pretty lavish as it's an investment?

3)Memory foam mattress?

4) Nice bedding? I like Cath Kidston, any cheaper nice versions?

5) Divan or Frame?

timidviper Thu 21-Jul-11 23:16:20

I have a mahogany sleigh bed bought off ebay for a fraction of the price of local stores smile I just like the look of frame beds

Memory foam mattresses are either loved or hated so we didn't chance one, have just changed our mattress for a firm one with a memory foam topper which is super comfy.

I always start by looking at John Lewis.

Hate Cath Kidston, think it's very overhyped and probably on its way out. I like Sanderson bedding.

threefeethighandrising Thu 21-Jul-11 23:30:52

John Lewis for the mattress, I loved the mattres I got from John Lewis so much I made everyone lie on it when they came to visit for about a month grin

It was a hypnos mattress, a high-quality non-turning one with a layer of lambswool just below the surface.

It was the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on! I wish I still had it (lost it in split with an ex).

I can't say I rate John Lewis's bed frames though, well at least not the one I got. It fell apart.

Even if money is no object you'll get a better deal if you shop around IMO. (John Lewis apart, who I love and forgive for giving me a bedframe which fell apart!) I feel the mainstream bed shops are not the best value for money. Do try to shop about, definitely worth visiting factory shops (we got a very well-made, sturdy, nice looking wooden bed frame with a £550 price tage for £250 in a factory shop). Or also independent places.

threefeethighandrising Thu 21-Jul-11 23:32:34

Are you planning on having any DCs any time soon? I have a feeling memory foam isn't recommended for co-sleeping, in case that makes a difference. Does anyone else know for sure?

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 21-Jul-11 23:34:19

John Lewis, spend as much as you can afford.

springbelle Thu 21-Jul-11 23:56:06

threefeethighandrising - we have a 22 month old daughter whom spends a lot of time in our bed - so that shouldn't be an issue now should it? No plans for more at the moment but are they not recommended for babies?

oldenoughtowearpurple Fri 22-Jul-11 00:11:29

I think my kingsize was about £500 three years ago and worth every penny. Lots of springs and a squishy top. Lie on every bed you can for about a month then choose one and buy it online from someone like mattress man website who deliver next day and are cheap. Don't get one that's too hard.

springbelle Fri 22-Jul-11 09:06:21

Thanks Timidviper, I have had a look at the Sanderson bedding and it looks really nice.....like Orla Kiely stuff too. Still have the Cath Kidston obsession even though I know it's a bit naff!
So do people think the memory foam topper is best?
Think we are going to go with the frame too. Divan's are just a bit ugly. They are practical though....could do with the extra storage.

nannyl Fri 22-Jul-11 09:11:55

I think we got this one about 15 months ago.

We LOVE it.... and both agree its probably our best bargain ever.

so so so comfy, and really good quality for a fraction of the price as on the high street.

We have it protected with hippy chick mattress protector, and have white company sheets and non water proof protectors, (which i use on top of hippychick which is there just in case) and lovely John Lewis 100% cotton bed linen. (The sheets we have for it probably cost more than the actual bed blush)
We are 100% happy and it is the comfiest bed i have ever slept it.

Im pretty sure our mattress was 1500 pocket springs with a layer of memory foam on the top. It really is wonderful!

threefeethighandrising Fri 22-Jul-11 10:44:35

I was thinking of babies yes, but this is something I remember a friend told me, I don't know how reliable it us. If it concerns you I'd advise you to do a bit more research (aka ask google and mumsnet!)

Safety aside I wouldn't put too much stock in other people's opinions of memory foam as some people love it and some people hate it! It's not z quality thing it's a personal preference thing. (personally I'm not keen)

There's no substitute for going and trying it out yourself. That's what's great about John Lewis, you are made to feel welcome lying down on the beds tl test them out. If you can get over the initial bit of feeling a big silly, it's a very relaxing experience smile

user1465834470 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:54:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

elladaly Tue 21-Jun-16 15:57:22

I'd suggest hypnos beds & Liddell bedding. Best combination ever! Both used in luxury hotels

feesh Tue 21-Jun-16 16:01:34

Another HUGE recommendation for Hypnos. If you are anywhere near Buckinghamshire, it's well worth visiting their factory shop. The beds are made in Britain and they are just gorgeous. They also make mattresses for the White Company and John Lewis.

We spent a lot on our Hypnos bed 5.5 years ago and it was honestly worth every penny. Beautiful headboard and the mattresses are like floating on clouds. We went for a super king so we could have separate mattresses zipped together - hubby's side is firm and mine is medium.

Best. Made. Bed. Ever.

The only downside is that we often find hotel beds a bit lacking and sometimes we can't wait for holidays to end to get back to our bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now