Talk

Advanced search

how much should i ask/ expect a cleaner to do in two hours?

(6 Posts)
bestfootforwards Thu 21-Jul-11 19:26:15

I'm meeting a cleaner tomorrow with a view to asking her to clean both my house and a house I look after for a friend who is away a lot, but have no idea what is reasonable to expect of her. Am not very good at cleaning myself and tend to get distracted a lot so find it hard to gauge and would welcome advice. She will be doing two hours at each property initially:
1- has huge kitchen and three bathrooms, am thinking thorough clean (floors, surfaces, sinks oven and toilets) of those rooms only
2- small 2 bed house, tiny kitchen and bathroom - clean both thoroughly and also hoover living room, hall stairs and landing. Possibly some extra each week like clean fridge/ dusting?

Does this sound realistic? Thank you!

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:30:35

sounds fine, my cleaner used to manage the same as property one, plus two reception rooms with wooden floors in three hours.

BooBooChicken Thu 21-Jul-11 19:31:26

the best thing to do is to time yourself doing what you would like her to do, and see how far you get smile

gardenpixies32 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:36:20

Hi, we have a small 2 bedhouse. I find our cleaner only really gets the basics done. She vacuums the whole house, mops the lounge, kitchen, hall and bathroom, gives the kitchen a basic clean, bathroom, changes one set of linen and that's about it! If I want her to do any extras, she seems to miss one of the regular things out!
We also have a tidy up before she come. I dont want her wasting valuable cleaning time having to tidy up!
HTH smile

bestfootforwards Thu 21-Jul-11 20:03:53

That's all very helpful, thank you!

I would time myself but the reason for getting a cleaner is that I'm just not really getting it done properly at all blush, just grabbed ten minute bits of cleaning when I can. In our defence dh is working really long hours and most weekends, I'm working four days a week, we've got a nine month old with a complicated skin care regime for his eczema and I spend the evenings (and bits of the weekends) helping dh with his work! Feel tired just seeing that written down! House has really started to get me down so cleaner is a necessity but I feel a bit unsure what to ask of them

spiderslegs Thu 21-Jul-11 20:25:19

Don't feel guilty about getting a cleaner - no need to justify yourself.

I'm a SAHM & I have one, it really will make you feel much better if you feel like things are getting on top of you, I also find it makes be better at tidying & doing small cleaning jobs throughout the week too as I know she'll tackle the rest.

She does three/four hours & goes through a seven bed, three bath house, floors, skirtings, bathrooms, dusting & any other areas that need attending to.

Enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now