Talk

Advanced search

Help, carpet smells of wee!

(13 Posts)
fatandknackered Wed 20-Jul-11 12:34:55

Any recommendations from you lovely domestic goddesses?

My LO tipped up his potty, wee went everywhere. So far I've tried soapy water, then today tried soapy water again with a little bleach added. DH used Febreze last night and the result is my front room smells like a nursing home...

Do I need to use a carpet shampoo?

All tips welcome, am getting desperate!

LordOfTheFlies Wed 20-Jul-11 14:03:12

grin @*smells like a nursing home*.( I have to go into nursing homes at work sometimes, and yes alot of them do smell of wee.And other things!)

Back to the plot.
Try a bio washing powder solution. It works on animal wee. LO can't be much worse, I hope!!

cornflakegirl Wed 20-Jul-11 14:27:20

Can you borrow a Vax?

DooinMeCleanin Wed 20-Jul-11 14:31:35

I have a vax for pet related accidents. The smell gets worse before it gets better <boak>

Tom Cat pee usually needs a steam cleaner. Nothing else will work, other than piping hot steam.

Toddler wee should come out with some bio washing powder dissolved in warm water and some elbow grease. Once it's dried sprinkle bi-carb over the carpet and leace for 10 mins to deodourise and then hoover.

Should I be proud of being an expert on removing various kinds of urine? hmm grin

Cedise Wed 20-Jul-11 14:43:41

Bicarb is brilliant. Pour a few handfuls on, scrub it well in, and leave it for an hour, then hoover it up. Then make up a strong solution of bicarb, pour it on the carpet (if your carpet will take it) - ignore the really strong wee smell! - then blot it up; let it dry completely and repeat if you need to.

It gets cat wee smell out wink

DooinMeCleanin Wed 20-Jul-11 14:44:26

Does it work on tom cat wee?

cornflakegirl Wed 20-Jul-11 16:15:11

When DS last did a wee on our carpet, DH vaxed it, and I thought it hadn't worked, because the smell was still quite strong. Then all of a sudden it was gone. Most odd!

Cedise Wed 20-Jul-11 16:24:21

Dooin it worked on my male cats wee, he's been neutered, I'm not sure if that makes a difference? It certainly smelled as strong as regular tom cats wee when he did it! The corner of the room was rank.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 20-Jul-11 16:27:31

Mine is neutered too. I'll have to remember that tip. Any change in his routine and he starts pissing all over the place angry. We are going on Holiday soon and I'm sure I will have a lovely, stinky house to greet me when I get back hmm

At least he has stopped doing it when new pets are introduced. I'm sure he just eye rolls now, whilst thinking 'FGS what have gone and got now?" grin

fatandknackered Wed 20-Jul-11 16:52:49

Wow thanks - will try the bio washing powder and bicarb for sure. Just been out for the day (left windows open) and it smells worse after the soapy water/bleach effort this morning.

Eurgh.

Will head out to the shops once DH gets home from work

Thanks again - my first foray in the good housekeeping section has paid dividends!!

stinkyfluffycat Wed 20-Jul-11 17:02:22

I've successfully used vinegar before on cat piss before (blot up puddle with kitchen roll, soak area with vinegar, blot up vinegar, then clean with soapy water to get rid of vinegar smell).
This got rid of the cat piss smell - initially it did smell of vinegar for a while, but once the vinegar smell went the piss smell had gone too.
That was after I'd tried bicarb without success.

alison222 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:08:32

You can get stuff from the pet shop for animal accidents - It works well - Also good for car seats if you have travel sick children ( got this tip from another mumsnetter ages ago)

Cedise Wed 20-Jul-11 20:29:48

I heard somewhere that you shouldn't put bleach on wee, it reacts with it somehow to make it more smelly. I might be talking out of my arse though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now