Talk

Advanced search

Help! Why my toilet smels like a pub's toilet?

(17 Posts)
sassyminder Tue 19-Jul-11 22:59:23

Honestly I must be an useless housewife
I am constantly cleaning my toilet and tried lots of diferent products, but it always smells bad - a part from the 10 first minutes after I clean it - and it always stained. I don't particulary like to use those things to put in the rim and my husband doesn't like candles in the toilet so I don't know what to do?? It is so embarassing.
We will be moving to a similar flat but much better decorated than the one we are in now and we are determined to have the hhome lovely all the time, I really dont want to have a stinky toilet.

thingamajig Tue 19-Jul-11 23:01:32

Um, make sure the floor around it is clean too?

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 19-Jul-11 23:03:10

Is it the floor around the base of the toilet? Urine can drip down and seep into the flooring/under the floor. When you clean the loo the smell of the cleaning fluid masks it for a few minutes only then it stinks again. If you are cleaning the actual toilet and seat thoroughly then that may not be the root cause of the problem.

Try limescale remover for the stains.

tethersend Tue 19-Jul-11 23:04:47

Is there an old man collapsed in the corner singing 'Danny Boy' and challenging you to a fight?

mercibucket Tue 19-Jul-11 23:04:53

if you've got a wooden seat and a child with a poor aim, then the smell sinks into the wood

thenightsky Tue 19-Jul-11 23:05:47

Harpic - the mega strong stuff in the black bottle.

And check your floors. Blokes and small boys pee splashes up and runs down the outside of the loo, soaking into the floor around. They catch the walls too, but you cannot see it.

AnyFuleKno Tue 19-Jul-11 23:06:44

Tip from flylady each day I put a squirt of cheap shampoo down the toilet and give it a quick scrub all round the inside with the loo brush.

Check there's no tricky nooks in the loo seat hinge where muck can build up.

You dint have carpet in the bathroom do you?

sassyminder Tue 19-Jul-11 23:12:48

Yep it is carpet...but it will be wooden floor in the next flat.
It is wooden seat aswell. But I hae a 4 year old girl.
I am currently using the harpic black and limescale remover tablet at night but is still not good enough

LordOfTheFlies Tue 19-Jul-11 23:13:58

I cleaned the white walls in the downstairs loo and was horrified that the cloth was yellow!

Yes I have a DS (11) who is a 'point and pee' bathroom user so it goes flippin everywhere

Short of banning him from the bathroom until he has control.....

tethersend the old man will be singing "the rare old mountain dew" a la Sean McGowan in 'Fairytale of New York' grin

mercibucket Tue 19-Jul-11 23:21:38

bleurrrgh to the carpet - vom vom vom (sorry, have a bit of a thing about carpets in loos)
could still be the wooden seat as well - does your dh, ahem, aim well grin. think baking soda is supposed to help with the whiff from the wooden seat but I just bought a plastic one instead - smell stopped overnight

makemineapinot Tue 19-Jul-11 23:24:59

Have to vom as well at the carpet - my old ensuite stank constantly - it was mould under the carpet (boak) which had only been down a few years - thanks XH - got it ripped up and fully sealed tiles down - smelled great after that! My bets on the urine on the carpet.

valiumredhead Tue 19-Jul-11 23:26:23

DH bought a citrus smelling Harpic loo cleaner the last time he went shopping - dear God it smells awful. just like strong smelling mens' urinals BLERK!

mathanxiety Wed 20-Jul-11 06:57:42

Carpet is the culprit imo.

You could also improve things a lot if you and your DH were drinking your 8 glasses of water a day. Pee really smells bad if you're not drinking enough water.

@ Tethersend grin

Fuzzled Wed 20-Jul-11 10:39:35

You can get stick on discs (Toilet Duck iirc) which dissolve and don't use a cage or hanger - great stuff and they don't smell too chemically.

sassyminder Wed 20-Jul-11 23:11:27

thanks all. I can't do nothing about the carpet just wait few more weeks until I move. I will leae the wooden seat and buy a plastic one too. I tried the toilet duck discs once and I remember I couldn't put it in properly but I will try again.
Anyone knows what is the hype about yankee candles?? apparently there is no flame????

mathanxiety Thu 21-Jul-11 01:51:58

I'm not sure about flameless.
Could you buy some pet odour eliminating products and try them?

brighthair Thu 21-Jul-11 12:46:35

Quick fix - bloo toilet cleaner, one squirt scents whole bathroom wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now