Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as a retractable stairgate?

(15 Posts)
yellowflowers Sun 17-Jul-11 19:20:05

I am imagining something like a vertical blind which you can pull across when needed and that retracts into a fitting on the wall when not. I can;t find one online so don't know if it exists or not (if not then quick, patent it and start production - I'd love one!)

valiumredhead Sun 17-Jul-11 19:23:56

Yes there is but I can't remember which catalogue I saw it in ( many moons ago!) It was about 50 quid and I dithered so much that ds grew up and no longer needed one! grin

trixymalixy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:25:15

It's by lindam that rollerblind stairgate. I think they might have discontinued it though as ther was a thread recently with someone desperately trying to find one.

MoreBeta Sun 17-Jul-11 19:27:03

We had a KiddyGuard stairgate for years until DS1 had stopped sleepwalking. It has a sort of alarm on it if the child gets it undone. Very good for wide or unusual shaped stairs. We put ours at the top of the stairs on th elanding and closed it when we went to bed.

MoreBeta Sun 17-Jul-11 19:27:39

Forgot to say the Kiddyguard is retractable like a roller blind.

AlsoAvailableSober Sun 17-Jul-11 19:28:41

We had one, and a friend i visited this week has one (they bought it recently but i don't know the make). I realised what i hated about ours was that you cannot undo it one handed. Soooooooo frustrating.

trixymalixy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:40:23

Sorry lascal not lindam

yellowflowers Sun 17-Jul-11 19:56:33

Oh that kiddyguard one is brilliant morebeta. Thank you! £99 though sad and also out stock [heads off to eBay]

RandomMess Sun 17-Jul-11 20:01:52

I had a kiddyguard one and hated it, I was too short to lean over and open it when it was keeping the dc safe upstairs!!!!

Teachermumof3 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:24:27

We have the Kiddyguard one and it's superb. My older children can undo it and go up/down the stairs, but it stops the toddler! You do need two hands, but tbh it's worth it to not have a normal stair gate swinging all over the place!

moonbells Sun 17-Jul-11 22:34:48

We have one and we thought it was great. Likewise a Babyden for dividing a room. Alas now our cute baby is now a stroppy preschooler they have to be ebayed so anyone who wants one watch out in the next week or two!

laurz75 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:40:37

We have exactly what you are describing - 2 of them as our stairs very awkward. Our dc are now 4 and 6 and they are still on the stairsblush - never quite got round to removing them!! If you live anywhere near Portsmouth - we could come to an arrangement? They're in excellent condition.

PurveyorOfBaloney Sun 17-Jul-11 22:53:49

Umm, we have the kiddyguard one and love it. You can undo it one handed though - you can release the thumb catch on one side, and then release the gate one the other side without holding the thumb catch down. The only problem with that method is that it makes a loud 'ratcheting' noise as the gate retracts so no good once the kiddies are sleeping.

yellowflowers Mon 18-Jul-11 13:34:15

Not near Portsmouth alas. They are going for about £60 on eBay so good luck. I may well be bidding soon.

naturalbaby Tue 19-Jul-11 16:02:08

we've got 3 kiddyguard ones, all off ebay. they did make our newborn baby cry with the noise if you open it without holding the button down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now