Talk

Advanced search

how often do u declutter?

(14 Posts)
biglips Sun 17-Jul-11 09:59:24

For the past week Ive done intensive declutter cos Ive been told that im a abit of a hoarder :-( so Ive done well up to now as Ive thrown out 6 binbags out. I did felt like my brain was scrambled for it wasn't completely tidy and can't/couldn't find things, but it is a clean house, iykeim?

Thanks

Ineedmetime Sun 17-Jul-11 10:17:45

I don't do it often enough, hard to find the time or motivation

AngryFeet Sun 17-Jul-11 10:25:26

I try to have a deep clean/declutter once a year but I am doing one at the moment and it has been 18 months since last one. I do go all out and really sort the place but it takes ages. I need a day per room so it takes about 6 weeks as I only have a day or two free per week.

Shaxx Sun 17-Jul-11 10:53:23

I've just decluttered the kids room and got rid of a huge box of books and toys and a large binbag of clothes. The last time was about a year ago.
I also decltterd the living room and dh took a couple of bags of stuff to the recycling dump.

The house is looking so much better. I really need to do our bedroom next and I don't think thats been done in a bout 4 years.

I really need to do this more often!

PonceyMcPonce Sun 17-Jul-11 11:00:29

Ongoing basis. At least 4-5 times each year, with different seasons and Xmas.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 17-Jul-11 11:03:47

Same as poncey I have just done our bedroom - and I feel so much better for it. Next is DD bedroom - she grows so fast and has outgrown many many books and toys.

I also have a side unit in the dining room that will be done this week and then I am moving onto my summer house large storage shed. Rest of the house is clean and tidy and non clutter as I can have it without it looking empty and show homeish.

TimeWasting Sun 17-Jul-11 11:04:38

I'm generally on a constant look-out for superfluous crap, but 3/4 times a year will have a thorough session in major clutter zones eg. cupboards, wardrobes.

It's much easier to just tackle one cupboard or corner of a room at a time.

jenniec79 Sun 17-Jul-11 11:05:13

Nowhere near as often as I should. I'm getting there with my front room and bathroom (kitchen a little stuffed with pots & pans etc but not too bad and it all just about fits into the available storage!) but the study and hall cupboards are a nightmare, and my sock drawer is a thing of legend.

notcitrus Sun 17-Jul-11 11:14:42

COnstantly... doesn't seem to help much.
Currently sorting through ds's toys and nappies and putting some in the loft and getting rid of anything not worth keeping for another baby.

Fortunately, MrNC is finally realising how much stuff really isn't worth keeping for dcs/future reference/anything, and a metal/electricals recycling point has opened down the road for chucking lots of his computer junk in, so I live in hope of improvement in the next few years (next baby will be the last, so all outgrown stuff can then go!)

We need more built-in cupboards and proper shelves etc before we can be properly tidy, and emergency repairs keep taking priority.

biglips Sun 17-Jul-11 20:29:18

so everyone is different and it all depends how much stuff youve got around you that needs decluttering. smile

FuzzpigFourFiveSix Sun 17-Jul-11 20:34:48

We've been living on our own since we moved out of my parents house in dec 06. We have been doing our first ever BIG declutter lately, with boot fair/charity shop/dump runs etc. And we are not finished yet <sigh>

cat64 Sun 17-Jul-11 20:37:17

Message withdrawn

biglips Sun 17-Jul-11 20:41:20

ahhh well ive still got 5 room to go! wink so 6 bags where mainly from my bedroom blush

wicketkeeper Tue 19-Jul-11 20:43:48

Every time I move house (7 times in last 10 years).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now