Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your fabulous washing machine

(18 Posts)
midnightexpress Thu 14-Jul-11 22:54:20

Our Hotpoint is on its last legs. It was never much good, bits broken almost as soon as we got it, but now the clothes are coming out more or less the same as they went in, only wetter.

I want a GOOD washing machine that actually cleans our clothes. We have two small but very dirty boys, mountains of washing. I want it to get stuff properly clean at lowish temps (30, 40).

Budget up to about £600, so sadly the 2k Miele is beyond our reach.

What have you got that's good please?

I'm off to bed in a minute so apologies if I don't get back on here immediately.

TIA

thisisyesterday Thu 14-Jul-11 23:01:00

I have a Bosch Classix (their cheapest range), was about £350 iirc

has lasted us 5.5 years so far without a single problem. have 3 little boys and had 2 in cloth nappies (still got one) for quite a while, so it's had a LOT of use!

midnightexpress Thu 14-Jul-11 23:09:49

Thanks - that's good to know. We were looking at perhaps Bosch or Siemens, though open to suggestions. We have a Bosch dishwasher that seems to be quite good.

echt Fri 15-Jul-11 07:08:05

Miele Softmatic. Bought for 999 pounds with a ten year guarantee from John Lewis nearly 10 years ago.

Survived four house moves - one to Oz - and still going fine.

I've always had to have it plumbed in by the Miele blokes (weird Aussie pipes), all of whom coo: " OOh English", the moment they lay eyes on it. They must do an exam or summat.

As we have discovered; Miele like to be on a concrete floor to assist spinning on heavy loads. Aussie houses on stumps did not suit it.

allthefires Fri 15-Jul-11 07:28:40

John Lewis own brand- 5 year guarnatee.

acumenin Fri 15-Jul-11 07:43:06

Mine is a Miele 5740 - I do think they're the best by miles. I just got it about 6mo ago. I often am drowned in washing so excuse my EXCESSIVE love and adoration of my new machine.

Mine does all wool and silk washes so no need for dry cleaning. It even has a setting for re-waxing waterproofs. The 20 minute express wash is amaaaaaze and very useful. It goes up to 95º so you can do bedding and towels and knickers in the event of lurgy and down to cold wash. Prewash, short wash, soiled wash - anything you like and it weighs the load and adjusts the timing accordingly. It washes very well at 30º

It's so quiet, you can't hear it in the rest of the house, which is v-valuable in a doll-sized two up two down terrace. When I got it, I put it on the express wash and wandered off. I came back thinking it was broken - it was so quiet I thought it wasn't on.

I paid £600 for mine (box damaged) at Currys with a 10 year warranty.

Cappster Fri 15-Jul-11 13:45:53

I'd get a man to look at it first

when my clothes were coming out all wet it turned out there was a 1p piece lodged in a pipe

midnightexpress Fri 15-Jul-11 16:02:43

Sorry, I meant wetter than when they went in. I've never been happy with the machine tbh, and now it's just really crap.

I really want a Miele but they are soooooooo expensive.

emsyj Fri 15-Jul-11 22:01:14

We have the most basic Miele model and it's brill. I think we paid £650 for it from O'Gormans. If you look on www.ogormans.co.uk they have a Miele on for £689. You don't need a £2k model to get 99% of the benefit of a Miele machine. The basic models are brilliant and do everything you need.

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 15-Jul-11 22:04:04

I have a Bosch, can't remember which model but it's about 8 years old. Absolutely wonderful machine - bought it on the recommendation of a washing machine repair man who said that he was probably cutting his own throat but he never, ever got called out to repair Boschs.

You watch, someone will be along any minute to tell you that their Bosch was a load of pants.

emsyj Fri 15-Jul-11 22:07:12

I had heard that there are different models of Bosch and the ones made in Germany are brilliant but the ones made elsewhere (dunno where they are made) are totally different and pants. Don't know how true that is as we don't have any Bosch appliances, although my mum has a Bosch dishwasher and loves it. And a Bosch fridge, which is crap confused grin

tigana Fri 15-Jul-11 22:08:11

my sypathies - our washing machine finally croaked yesterday, so this weekend will be spent checking the robustness of washing machine door handles in comet/currys etc.

Our repair man also recommended bosch...

SleepyFergus Sat 16-Jul-11 16:33:53

We have a Bosch, nearly 7 years old and it's been fantastic. Can't remember what model it is but it has a digital display that tells you how long each cycle is and counts down. Handy when you're hanging about waiting for it to finish so you can hang out the washing before you go out! It's the small things......<sigh>

valiumredhead Sat 16-Jul-11 17:27:06

Miele.

Putthatbookdown Sun 17-Jul-11 08:32:24

Can you wait till the January sales? There are usually bargains.Do not spend money on machines with features you do not need I have a Hotpoint and no problems wih it- in fact 5 years parts guarantee, NB when you buy a new appliance you MUST register it with the firm within 30 days to get any guarantee.

trumpton Sun 17-Jul-11 08:55:28

Miele.
Miele.
Miele.
Miele.
Miele.
Miele.
grin mine is wonderful. I had a Hotpoint and had extended annual guarantee . After 36 call outs in 5 years the insurers gave me £350 to dump it ( and them). I bought a Miele on the advice from my very good friend the call-out man. haven't seen him since. 8 years .

MindtheGappp Sun 17-Jul-11 09:02:01

Another Miele here. It is great.

JacksonPollocks Sun 17-Jul-11 09:08:19

I got a beko for £89, it's been running well for 4 years now with 1 baby and 2 teenagers giving it heavy use. Plus, if it breaks one day I won't be too fussed at that price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now