Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting an ancient Coin out of a sofa

(6 Posts)
HPonEverything Wed 13-Jul-11 21:26:24

DH found a coin today, really old (late 1600s), very thin silver.

We were sat on the sofa looking on the laptop trying to work out how much it was worth (answer: not a fortune but anything up to £300). I was cringing as he was just flipping it over in his hand and then surprise surprise he dropped it down the sofa [eye rolling emoticon]

We have a 3-seater electric sofa and it went down the far end seat so we ought to have a rough idea of where it is but sadly it's nowhere to be found. We've tried vacuuming but the vacuum couldn't really get into the very tiny gap effectively. There is a danger it might have dropped under into the mechanism. We don't want to wreck the sofa (DH has had a pretty good go at that too) as it's worth more than the coin!

The coin was a sort of blue colour as we hadn't cleaned it, and it has some silver in it but I don't know what the rest of it is. I have really long thin fingers but no amount of poking came up with the goods.

Any ideas? He is kicking himself as we speak so I won't get any satisfaction from berating him or told-you-so's if anyone wants to suggest that grin

wellwisher Wed 13-Jul-11 23:51:51

Really strong magnet? Depends what kind of metal the coin's made of, but it's worth a try.

What the hell is an "electric sofa", by the way? What does it do? confused

Naoko Thu 14-Jul-11 00:25:13

I could lend you a pet rat. They always seem to be digging things up from the side of the sofa that I had no idea were there. Of course, their natural reaction to this is to try and eat whatever they've found...<sorry, not helping...>
Um...do you have a small child to hand? Someone with smaller/thinner fingers might be able to get into the gap?

ninedragons Thu 14-Jul-11 00:26:15

How adept are you with chopsticks?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 14-Jul-11 00:31:28

Forget about it until your sofa is knackered and you're getting a new one. Then dismantle it.

HPonEverything Thu 14-Jul-11 12:59:28

lol at some of the responses grin

no chopsticks to hand but I've tried broddling with knitting needles - nothing!

I'll try the magnet idea, and otherwise wait til it just drops out and gets eaten by the dog or a small child.

God it's so frustrating!!

(electric sofa is for very lazy people like myself, and has a button on the side that tilts it back.... downside being lots of mechanical gubbins underneath the seats)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now