Talk

Advanced search

How could I make a conservatory more useable year-round on the cheap?

(5 Posts)
MissRead Mon 11-Jul-11 14:57:25

Our conservatory (added before we bought the house) is a lovely big room but suffers from the common problem of being boiling hot in summer and freezing cold in winter - it does have a radiator but doesn't hold the heat all that well. We don't have much to spend at all but would love to find a way of making it a more practical space that we could get more use out of. Was wondering about the film you can get for the roof or something along those lines. Has anyone done this or got any other suggestions?

CeliaFate Mon 11-Jul-11 15:22:33

If it has electricity I would buy the best electric radiator you can afford. We've got a Delonghi one which you can set to come on with a timer and set the temperature, so you can plug it in and maintain a comfortable temperature all winter. It was about £120. I wouldn't bother with the film stuff - it looks awful, is fiddly to fit and doesn't do a good enough job IMHO.

MissRead Mon 11-Jul-11 15:38:45

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea for the winter, just need to sort the heat in the summer - ideally I'd like to use the room as a home office but I don't think my computer would cope with how hot it gets in there at the moment. I did wonder if the film would be as good as it sounds, stands to reason that it might not be great as it can be quite cheap I think.

trumpton Mon 11-Jul-11 15:59:27

Money saving expert idea here There is a link to show a photo.

MissRead Mon 11-Jul-11 16:18:24

That could work, not sure my DIY skills are up to the job but could be worth a shot and certainly wouldn't cost a lot - thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now