Talk

Advanced search

Wasps Nest

(3 Posts)
sittinginthesun Mon 11-Jul-11 13:46:05

I have just discovered a wasps nest, under the gutter, at the side of my house. It's not actually bothering me at all, as the wasps don't appear to be coming in through any windows, and don't come into the back garden. In fact, I only found it, because I was wondering what the strange crackling sound was in the kitchen ceiling.

My question is, does anyone know what will happen if I don't get rid of it (don't like to kill anything without good reason). Will it get worse/be a nightmare etc.

thanks

ragged Mon 11-Jul-11 14:51:42

Wasps are wonderfully good for the garden; they move every 6 months typically so are rarely a permanent problem. We left a nest alone in the ground last summer/winter, had much fewer caterpillar problems than usual. I won't lie to you, 2 of DC were stung -- but that could happen any time anyway. Everyone else will tell you just to nuke it, but I'm glad we left ours where it was (disappeared in the spring).

What good are wasps.
Wasps as useful natural pest control.
good things wasps do

jalopy Mon 11-Jul-11 14:52:46

The wasps will die in winter. Next year they will build a nest close to the original one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now