Talk

Advanced search

Advice Needed for Employing a Cleaner

(7 Posts)
MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 11-Jul-11 12:30:39

I've been looking into getting a cleaner to come in a couple of times a week. I've had a one woman band come round. She charges £10 an hour with good references and I liked her although she seemed very keen to clean upstairs but not so much downstairs where tbh the bulk of the work is.

The next lady who came round was also very nice and headed up a team of cleaners who come round in pairs. She charges £11.75 an hour and thats for 2 ladies. So, I'd thought I could do with them working for 2 hours twice a week. So she said because its 2 ladies it works out as 1 hour twice a week. Thats £16.50 a week cheaper than the first lady.

I cannot work out how she gets it to work. National Minimum wage is £5.93 so these ladies get less than that- much less if this agency lady takes a cut too. Is there something I am missing and does her deal sound ok or will I end up with a load of repressed migrant workers round the house getting paid tuppence an hour?! [hconfused]

Many thanks for any advice.

bacon Mon 11-Jul-11 13:16:39

Me confused too as I've always understood that these agencies charge £11 ish and pay the cleaners min wage which I was never impressed about. I've never heard to two ladies turning up??? I've always employed a one man band but they usually dont last long even at £8-10ph. Brill at first then after a few months, start phoning sick and eventually just go AWAL. Obviously a lady self employed doing a few cleaning jobs a week needs to put it all through the books unless they take cash in which they can get away with it.

The quality of work is important and knowing what cleaning fluids to use not the mad bleach ladies who think using a whole bottle a week is good cleaning. Most cleaners dont understand that wooden floors need care not a soaking with strong chemicals. I had some terrible bleaching of my oak funiture on the feet which cost me a fortune to put right. Chucking everything in the dishwasher too!!!!

Cleaning someone elses house deserves a lot of respect its hard work and god knows who would do it for min wage - A good cleaner deserves £8-10ph. 3 hours is pretty standard to do a house at speed.

Driftwood999 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:08:35

Inform the authorities at once, or turn a blind eye (like governments do) and employ the band of two, who are the most likely to need the money and be hard working. Try another agency as a comparison for the price for a team of two. You can always tip them btw.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 11-Jul-11 21:56:01

We've decided to go with the one woman band for a trial period.

Mandy2003 Tue 12-Jul-11 12:37:51

Biggest tip when employing a cleaner, make sure they know that in order to clean properly that includes moving things to clean behind them!!

I am going to let rip at my Dad's cleaner about this when I catch her angry

kaz111 Mon 05-Sep-11 10:22:40

hi if you are still looking for a cleaner i do cleaning i charge £10 an hour you can contact me at kaz_53@hotmail.co.uk thank you karen

MistyMountainHop Mon 05-Sep-11 10:31:32

i'm a self employed cleaner and i charge £10 an hour. its just me.

i usually tell new clients what i do as a bare minimum which is hoover thoroughly throughout, mop all hard floors, clean all shelves, windowsils, tv units, polish mirrors and shiny surfaces, clean all kitchen and bathroom sides, wipe wall tiles down, clean sinks, toilets, showers and baths. then if they want anything extra i am happy to do that as well. for example one of my clients has asked me to clean her windows and skirting boards this week which will add a bit of time on but she is ok with that.

and lots of people like things done differently in their house so i am more than happy to take direction IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now