Talk

Advanced search

Have I ruined my sheepskin :(

(14 Posts)
LaTook Fri 08-Jul-11 21:50:45

I washed it-as per instructions 30 degrees with woolite left to dry and the leather has gone rock solid

Any ideas on what I can do?

Really want to try to avoid buying expensive wool cleaners, I was only cleaning it to give to a friend who is having a baby but now it's useless

I'm gutted as I'm sure they can last years but it seems as though I've ruined mine

lorrikeet Sat 09-Jul-11 08:16:49

happened to mine too, very dissappointing; but it sort of relaxed a bit over time. never quite the same again, but still useable.

sprinkles77 Sat 09-Jul-11 09:25:29

What a shame. Did you use fabric softener? Apparently that can cause this. It should relax over time. If you sort of roll it up then unroll it and roll it the other way a few times it might soften.

Moodykat Sat 09-Jul-11 09:46:32

Mine did this too, I was gutted. It ended up making a lovely dog bed. sad

GentleOtter Sat 09-Jul-11 09:55:23

It will soften again if it is pummelled. Try stamping all over it with trainers or actually bashing it all over with something really solid. It will soften again.

LaTook Sat 09-Jul-11 17:27:01

Oh thanks for all your replies guys. No I didn't use softener that's why I'm really gutted because I read all the instructions and took care to do it right

sad for moodykat but smile moodykat's dog grin

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 17:29:38

try rewashing it and put glycerine in the conditioner drawer, pummel it up when wet etc

TheThrill Sat 09-Jul-11 18:55:02

Happened to dd's too, despite me washing it as per instructions. I hate the bloody thing, creates lots of dust and is matted and horrible. Would have looked much nicer when worn by it's owner Jacob Sheep. Might was it again tomorrow.

TheThrill Sat 09-Jul-11 18:55:32

ffs wash

GentleOtter Sat 09-Jul-11 19:16:31

problems posting with broadband.

Try rewashing or just soaking with some glycerine in the rinse, dry outside if possible then a dog brush will raise the wool again.

<third attempt at posting>

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 19:20:26

yes brush through whilst damp/wet I just use a normal hairbrush with the spikes and the blobs on the end.

LaTook Sat 09-Jul-11 22:16:03

Thanks again for more replies

I did buy a dog brush and that's how I was originally cleaning it and it was coming up fine! Grrrr why didn't I just keep doing that so annoyed with myself!

Anyway will try the glycerine, do I buy that from the baking aisle?

GentleOtter Sat 09-Jul-11 22:26:38

Yes, glycerine from the baking aisle - add about a tablespoonful to the last rinse then dry the sheepskin away from direct heat - it might take a few days to dry completely.

Pummel the skin as it is drying and it should go soft.

thejaffacakesareonme Sun 10-Jul-11 17:03:20

Our local supermarket didn't stock glycerine. You can also get it from a pharmacist, although in our local Boots they keep it behind the counter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now