Talk

Advanced search

Should I let my cleaner go?

(4 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Thu 07-Jul-11 18:45:18

I a lucky to have a lovely cleaner she is reliable, on time and does an ok job and I have had her for over 2yrs now BUT

standards have slipped slighty and I feel she has becoe complacent, I would feel awkward discussing this with her, I also know she has left early on at least 1 occasion when DH and I were both in the house, there could be more I don't know about and I think if she woud do that when we are here the she would do it when we weren't, I didn't say anything at the time because i didn't notice the time until just after she had left.

Her prices have gone up as you would expect after 2yrs but I feel I'm paying more for less work.

I'm not expecting to be earning as much over the next few months and I am looking at saving money but I will still be working 50hours per week with 5 dc's here most of the day and I do trust her and like her.

What to do?

dexter73 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:07:21

I would have a word with her. It may be awkward but you are paying her to do a job and if she isn't doing it properly then she needs to be told. I think you could do with a cleaner if you have 5 dc's and work 50 hours a week!

lukewarmmama Thu 07-Jul-11 21:17:53

If you can still afford it, it sounds like you need one!

You like her and trust her - that's a good start for a working relationship. So try to fix this one before trying a new cleaner. Maybe identify a couple of areas each week for her to focus on 'if she has the time' - she'll soon get the hint?

<disclaimer - I'm utterly rubbish at managing my cleaner and am also hanging out here looking for tips>

WhoAteMySnickers Thu 07-Jul-11 22:55:49

Reliable cleaners are hard to come by, so if you can, keep her, but have a word about what you expect from her based on what you pay for.

When we had a cleaner, she seemed to think that even though we paid her for 3 hours, if she got all of the regular duties done in 2.5 hours by rushing and cutting corners it meant she could go, but still be paid for 3 hours. We soon put a stop to that by providing her with a list of extra jobs and I said something along the lines of "if you've finished all of your regular jobs in the 3 hours we pay you for, here's a list of some other stuff you can get on with, thanks".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now