Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a vacuum cleaner

(32 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 07-Jul-11 17:19:23

i have had a dyson multi floor for years. I am moving house and will have a mixture of carpets, wood and tiled floors and my dyson has just started to make a very loud noise, get hot and not pick things up. I have done all the obvious things like check filters but it only works using the hose. I don't have time to mess about so think I need to bite the bullet and buy a new cleaner ASAP. Can anyone recommend one. I would prefer an upright model and one that would do hard floors as well. Is a Roomba just a gimmick that doesn't really work?

Mandy2003 Thu 07-Jul-11 23:18:08

Henry (or Hetty) any day for me. They are simple design, strong and powerful. Never tried one till this year using one at work now I'm fully convinced.

hobnob Fri 08-Jul-11 15:20:06

Henry every time.

Pedicuri Fri 08-Jul-11 19:24:39

Henry. I was previously a die-hard dyson girl. Love my Henry.
So much easier to move around, so much more flexible. In hindsight, I find the concept of a bag less vacuum unhygienic, as I do vacuum up crumbs and kitchen stuff. The price difference is a bonus.

knitknack Sat 09-Jul-11 12:26:48

We just bought a Henry (arrived yesterday from Amazon) after getting through a dyson, and TWO other makes in two years! WOW - it's incredible. I now realise why my parents had one for over twenty years - am kicking myself for not just getting one in the first place!

knitknack Sat 09-Jul-11 12:27:14

You can buy washable, reusable bags for Henry, btw

IslaValargeone Sat 09-Jul-11 12:29:25

Henry. We have had them all, but Henry has been the best. The Amy Winehouse of vacuum cleaners.

Madlizzy Sat 09-Jul-11 12:29:25

Another one for Henry here.

Cantgetnopeace Sat 09-Jul-11 12:34:35

I got a dyson a few months ago and it's great so far.

The roomba only works when there is nothing bigger than a penny on the floor as the brushes are very close together so it doesn't let much in. A lego piece would get stuck in mine and then it stops until its cleared.

It takes a very long time to clean large spaces and if someone walks in front of it while it's going it takes even longer so it's best to have it on when no one is at home.

My DC "play" with it while its on so I can't use it if they're in the house too. If I'm organised and have it timed to come on while we're out it's fine but it's just too much of a faff.

Mandy2003 Sat 09-Jul-11 15:38:44

Oh Isla - if I go to work tomorrow and find Henry missing he'll be in rehab then??

Pancakeflipper Sat 09-Jul-11 15:45:34

Sebo. I love mine.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 09-Jul-11 16:17:52

My Miele cat and Dog broke recently.Have had 2 Dysons before and didn't want another. Kept reading about Henry so got one. After 10 mins he was back in the box enroute for a refund.

Managed to get Miele one going again. If it goes again I'll get a Sebo.

CandiceMariePratt Sat 09-Jul-11 16:25:53

Hetty

PositiveAttitude Sat 09-Jul-11 16:57:53

Miele Cat and Dog here. I have had loads of hoovers over the years and was fed up with the lot of them!! Thought the Miele was a bit expensive, but worth every penny and would definitely buy it again.

SparkyToo Sat 09-Jul-11 17:26:30

I love my Sebo - still going stong after 10+ years.

bunjies Sat 09-Jul-11 17:31:41

Just bought a Henry after reading about them on here and on Amazon and am really pleased with it. Great price too on Amazon.

OberonTheHopeful Sat 09-Jul-11 20:22:47

Bought another Miele last year and can't recommend highly enough.

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Sat 09-Jul-11 22:42:39

We brought Henry home today. My two year old vax was doing no more than rearranging the cat hairs into neat lines and the filters which were disintegrating were already obsolete.

He is harder work than the vax but it is very nice not to have to keep changing from upright to hose attachment and the best bit is that you can now see that I've hoovered.

LakeFlyPie Sat 09-Jul-11 23:04:03

Wyken - what was wrong with Henry?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 09-Jul-11 23:10:50

He didn't pick up the pet hair very well, was very hard to push, couldn't get the handle to a comfortable height, was a bit of a palava compared to Miele to put in cupboard and then smirked at when I told him he was an inferior piece of plastic with those big eyes of his.

suzikettles Sat 09-Jul-11 23:14:35

I love my Miele but the bags cost a friggin fortune. I might have thought twice if I'd known that at the time.

Curry's picked my pocket of nearly £12 for four yesterday, although to be fair they do a 3 for 2 (couldn't bring myself to spend £20 in one go on hoover bags though). You can get fake ones cheaper online but I'm not very organised and my mum was coming round so was a cleaning emergency.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 09-Jul-11 23:31:31

They are expensive but found in an emergency that you can cut the end open, empty it then stick up with parcel tape and it is still pretty efficient.

Cathycat Sat 09-Jul-11 23:41:04

Don't get a Henry! Too heavy!

DanFmDorking Sun 10-Jul-11 00:16:31

Henrys are well made and reliable. Spares are available and they can be easily serviced/repaired.
Wynken couldn't get the handle to a comfortable height,
The bend in the stainless steel tube that goes into the black flexible hose is not halfway along the tube, it is about 1/3 of the way along. So, if you reverse the tube you can set the handle to more comfortable height.
See picture/diagram 8.

Ponders Sun 10-Jul-11 00:20:23

Miele - yes the bags are expensive, but they let no dust through, & the vac goes on sucking pretty much at max until the bag's completely stuffed.

You can get bags cheaper if you shop around online

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now