Talk

Advanced search

eeeeeeeeeek! mice!!!

(24 Posts)
AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 06:54:03

The scene - 3.30 am, DS1 gets up for the millionth time and says he can hear something in his room and is scared. I heroically go in armed with a fly swat expecting something like a moth.
A rattling noise is coming from in his (trofast) toy drawers.
I pull them out and a MOUSE scurries into the corner, then another leaps out of the box to join it.
I am very restrained and manage to contain myself to a "shitty death it's a mouse" not bad for severe sleep deprivation.
There's a few pellets and a small shredded drawing visible - no smell.
I don't think they've been there long.
I need to evict them fast and reliably - DS1 doesn't want to sleep in there with company.
Thanks for any ideas.

MoreBeta Wed 06-Jul-11 07:22:04

Get some nipping traps and put nutella on them they will be dead in a day.

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 07:31:54

nipping traps - what are they? the old fashioned ones?

They'd have to fight me for the nutella though grin

MoreBeta Wed 06-Jul-11 08:29:40

Yes the old fashioned traps. They love a blob of nutella do mice. I caught 6 under the kitchen cabinets this way. Got rid of them completely once I had figured how they were getting in from the garden

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 08:31:03

Right - will purchase the necessaries - thanks

peggy0062 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:24:47

I came down this morning to find a new loaf of bread (Hovis, completely sealed) teared open, a trail of bread on the kitchen top and even some bits on the floor. shock Stood there for a minute or 2 frozen to the spot then just had to tell the kids that there is no bread for breakfast.
Just cleared out a space in a cupboard for food stuff. None will live on the kitchen surface any more.
I am sure they came in from behind the washing machine. There isn't much I can do as this place is rented.

Shaken and terrified.

MoreBeta Wed 06-Jul-11 09:29:08

peggy you ned to block up the small holes around the pipework. Our mice get in under the dishwasher the same way. Ask your landlord if he/she would mind filling around the pipes on the outside wall with some pollyfilla. Mice can get in a hole as thick as a pencil. Vermin are actually a landlord's responsibility so if he/she does not agree then ring up the council and get them to talk to him/her.

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 10:01:03

Traps purchased and set - one of each type - live catch and "not so live".
Had to use chocolate buttons as bait as I can't have nutella in the house - eating a whole jar with a spoon is not a good idea blush.

There was one hiding when I put them down - it looked me in the eye - v cute and furry - probably a field mouse. I hope they choose the nice exit now...

They may be coming in through the air brick and under the floor, but will need to dismantle the toy storage to get to where they are.

Good luck with yours Peggy

MoreBeta Wed 06-Jul-11 10:05:35

I put very fine wire mesh over our airbricks to stop them getting in under the floor boards as well.

meditrina Wed 06-Jul-11 10:10:14

Whilst waiting for the landlord to get it fixed properly, try jamming a teased out brillo pad (or similar) into the space (they can't gnaw through wire) and duct tape it into place.

SpringHeeledJack Wed 06-Jul-11 10:11:06

AutumnWitch I have never seen anyone else write/heard anyone say "shitty death" for years

apart from dcs blush

[delighted]

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 10:22:27

oops - showing my age!

sb6699 Wed 06-Jul-11 11:05:01

You need to block up any gaps with wire wool - they hate the stuff and wont chew through it.

Keep the traps set even if you think you've got them all - there are normally more of the wee blighters than you see.

peggy0062 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:34:28

Heading outside to check the pipework now!

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 12:57:19

Blasted things have had two, yes two chocolate buttons off me without springing the trap. I hope they feel sick....

jenni75 Wed 06-Jul-11 13:38:43

Hi , try positioning the traps facing the wall, as they run round the edges of a room, hope you catch them soon!

moonbells Wed 06-Jul-11 13:51:51

oh yes I remember my last flat, mice getting in the dratted airbricks and scurrying about the kitchen.

I got some diamond mesh from the local plumber's merchant; this has holes of a lot less than half a cm. We got some of the long winged bolts for plasterboard walls, which would fit through the airbrick's holes and also the mesh (with a bit of help from a screwdriver!) and bolted the mesh firmly onto the outside of the airbrick, thus keeping airflow open but stopping the mice from getting in.

Then a few traps got rid of the ones unlucky enough to still be inside when we closed off their entrance.

LordOfTheFlies Wed 06-Jul-11 14:04:13

About 5 years ago a few houses in our road had visitors when a neighbour was digging up drains.

I tried the 'humane catch and release' traps, but you can never be sure they don't come back.
Caught a few with traps (snap-traps) and peanut butter but they only kill outright if it catches the head.One got caught by the tail.
Finally got the poison in the clear plastic traps ( keeps it safe from DCs)
Used that foam filler round gaps where it couldn't be seen and clear thick plastic where it could.
Still makes me jump when I 'see' something move.

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 15:54:14

Thanks for the ideas - am just about to clear DS's room and remove all traces/food/nest materials and try and block any holes.

Might lay extra traps.

I think they've been waking DS several times a night for the last few days - very sleep deprived, so feeling the need to get medieval on their little furry bottoms...

MoreBeta Wed 06-Jul-11 16:49:14

Autumn - I thought they might just steal the buttons. Try melting them slightly first so they stick on the spike on the trap. They have a taste for them now so they will be dead within the hour.

bluesky Wed 06-Jul-11 16:51:57

Def melt it first, so they have to work hard to eat it, and they will hang around for longer whilst eating it, they won't grab it and run to eat it in peace and safety!

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 18:02:29

Or I could stick them on with peanut butter? Just cleaned out and nearly caught IT - looks like there's only one. Removed it's teeny nest and cleaned and disinfected behind everything.

Unfortunately it bolted into the house (and hopefully straight out the door and into the garden).

I'll put traps in strategic locations - now have several.
With luck there'll be an ex-mouse by morning smile

Thanks for all your help

AutumnWitch Wed 06-Jul-11 21:36:49

me 1: mouse 0 wine

DS1 has an astonishingly clean room.

I have about 400g of chocolate buttons looking at me from the fridge.

and I can now talk knowledgeably about evicting mice.

a big improvement on this morning - thanks folks.

peggy0062 Wed 17-Aug-11 14:04:59

IT was NOT a mouse or mice.
It was a RAT, which a very kind neighbour killed with a hockey stick. (It had eaten so much poison so just stood there)
holes have been filled, inside and outside.
That was 2 weeks ago, been wearing wellies in the kitchen even since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now