Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I get rid of "dishwasher taint" from DD's beakers and bottles?

(9 Posts)
Thandeka Mon 04-Jul-11 17:47:09

Ew ew ew I tasted some of DD's beaker water the other day and it was minging- definite dishwasher taint to it. I always rinse the beakers well before filling with fresh water but this isn't doing trick. Some I have tried washing in hot soapy water but this doesn't seem to have worked- worried dishwasher taste is now ingrained in plastic somehow and will have to throw away. But before I resort to drastic measures thought I would ask here for suggestions first. Soak in plain water overnight? Never use dishwasher again for bottles and beakers (I hate washing up)? Any ideas?

BertieBotts Mon 04-Jul-11 17:50:10

I don't know what dishwasher taint is, but beakers always taste kind of musty to me unless you really scrub all the nooks and crannies with a washing up brush, including shoving the bristles as far into the spout as they will go. Also then feel with a finger all around the lid to make sure it isn't slimy.

BertieBotts Mon 04-Jul-11 17:50:22

inside of the lid*

Thandeka Mon 04-Jul-11 17:53:28

Dishwasher taint being "faint taste of dishwasher in an drink from said beaker/bottle

BertieBotts Mon 04-Jul-11 18:03:13

What does a dishwasher taste like? confused All I was saying is that flavours, bacteria etc seem to get trapped very easily in the lids and spouts of plastic beakers, so you have to be really thorough in cleaning them.

Thandeka Mon 04-Jul-11 18:10:24

Like scungy washing up water. Will go and buy new bottle brush as ours died but am quite thorough on spouts especially tommee tippe cups where I found unmentionable scunge in there once. Boak!

BertieBotts Mon 04-Jul-11 18:37:03

Ah okay. I tend to use a normal washing up brush, I find the bristles on bottle brushes too flimsy. But then I always seem to buy cheap ones.

Bellagio Mon 04-Jul-11 18:42:14

Thandeka I'm having the same issue, also tasted it the other day bleurgh!
I'm thinking chuck, I think the dishwasher taste just permeates plastic after a while, I find the same with old plastic sandwich boxes etc.

PigletJohn Tue 05-Jul-11 00:28:26

is it a detergent taste or a stale water taste?

have you taken out and cleaned the filters, and do you use salt in the softener reservoir?

are these plastic items marked "dishwasher safe"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now