Talk

Advanced search

How do you dispose of cooking oils?

(10 Posts)
greenlegs Mon 04-Jul-11 11:59:05

Boring but this has been troubling me.

Having seen enough of the documentaries about the guys who clean the sewers I don't like to through fats and oils down the sink. Hot fat you can allow to cool and then throw it in the bin but what about oils? eg. Expired cooking oils, or used cooking oils.

Any hot tips?

flipthefrog Mon 04-Jul-11 12:00:51

mop it up with kitchen paper then bin

bamboobutton Mon 04-Jul-11 12:01:44

if i have half a bottle of oil to dispose of i just bung a load of kitchen roll in a carrier bag, pour the oil over it and chuck it in the bin.

WowOoo Mon 04-Jul-11 12:02:11

I keep plastic tubs that i get from deli counters or for mushrooms. ones without holes basically. i let it cool and pour in there and then bin it. Or let it set in frying pan and wipe most off with kitchen towel and then bin it.

mummakaz Mon 04-Jul-11 12:38:58

Oil from a frying pan I use kitchen towel to soak it up but oil from roast pots etc I wait for it to cool down then pour it into an empty milk bottle, stick lid on and put it in the bin

BertieBotts Mon 04-Jul-11 12:45:01

yes pour onto kitchen roll is the best solution - you can even do it when hot then.

moonbells Mon 04-Jul-11 14:10:35

For deep-frying oil when I use it, it goes back into a separate bottle marked USED and when it's full, gets binned.

For any other bits, like dribbles from frying pans, moppings from Indian meals (does anyone else scoop off the oil?) and fat from roasts then I have a screwtop jar which I stick it in and when full I stick in the bin.

muddlinleigh Thu 07-Jul-11 12:27:32

My mum always used an old tin then chucked it when it was full.

gotolder Mon 11-Jul-11 14:13:25

If you can get to your local tip they will have a recycling facility for old cooking oil if you are talking about deep fat fryer quantities.

DonaAna Mon 11-Jul-11 18:44:08

Pour it into a glass or plastic jar or milk carton and then bin it.

In my high-rise, an apartment downstairs had huge plumbing problems (sewers backing up, a bathtub spewing sewage water, bad water damage) apparently b/c someone upstream had poured some oil down the drain.

When I lived in Brazil, there was a separate sewer system for cooking oil! And when I lived in the US, they had cars running on biodiesel (=recycled chip shop grease) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now