Talk

Advanced search

Machine is ruining my bras

(13 Posts)
inchoccyheaven Fri 01-Jul-11 19:24:18

I have always washed my bras in washing machine and most of the time been fine, but recently 2 of my bras have had the wire come through, and one of them shreded some of the plastic rim inside the machine. Typically they are my nicest ones sad

How do you wash your bras????

dexter73 Fri 01-Jul-11 19:27:56

Perhaps wash them in a pillow case?

dexter73 Fri 01-Jul-11 19:28:52

Mind you I think you are supposed to handwash bras... never going to happen!

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 19:37:38

I wash them in a pillow case for that reason. have one from ikea that was the inner cover of a pillow iyswim, with a zip. big enough for soft toys as well.

prettybird Fri 01-Jul-11 19:38:20

I use a wee "delicates" bag. Had one that came with something else (washing tablets?) that worked for ages and then once it disintegated,I bought one (actaully, it came in a pack of two) from either Sainsbury's or Lakeland Plastic. It's a small mesh bag with a zip. Useful for bras, tights and children's socks.

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 19:39:08

I don't do handwashing at all. anything that doesn't survive the woolcycle is not worth having imo.

alemci Fri 01-Jul-11 19:42:46

i use a net bag on a handwash cycle for bras or I have been known to handwash them in a sink.

I would never put them straight into the machine unless they were in a bag and not on a normal cycle.

prettybird Fri 01-Jul-11 19:43:01

I'm with you mousymouse smile

Once something had languished for over a year at the bottom of my laundry basket blush, I realised that I should either wash it in the machine or not bother having it, since I was getting no benefit from it.

inchoccyheaven Fri 01-Jul-11 20:09:57

I will get one of those bag things I think then, though will try in pillow case to start with. Thanks all smile

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 20:21:00

make sure it is a fine mesh. sometimes the holes are big enough for the wires to slip through.

Fuzzled Wed 06-Jul-11 20:47:15

Lakeland do lovely delicates bags which are shaped and do wonders for my bras. Still got bra that's 3 years old and is pristine (doesn't have bobbly bits on it). Doesn't fit very well now, but that's another matter! blush

sunshinenanny Thu 07-Jul-11 22:45:50

These wires can seriously damage your washing machine, very expensive repair!sad and ordinary net bags let the wires through.

The bags from Lakeland are specialy shaped and lined for washing underwired bras. I wash mine on the handwash cycle with other delicates and they stay in lovely conditionsmile

SparkyToo Sat 09-Jul-11 17:31:17

I always washed mine on handwash/wool cycle. However, after years of being advised by shop assistants that I should handwash them I now doing just that in an attempt to make them last longer and try and keep them in good shape. It doesn't actually take too long and not as much as a pain as I thought it would be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now