Talk

Advanced search

Keeping my new bathroom sparkling

(15 Posts)
fatsatsuma Thu 30-Jun-11 10:14:32

I'm very proud of my lovely new white bathroom, but fear it will soon look grotty like the old one which we inherited. One of the main problems was limescale which had built up really badly everywhere - stained toilet, round the taps etc.

Please can I have your tips for a good cleaning regime which will keep it looking lovely?

janeyjampot Thu 30-Jun-11 10:59:04

Flylady suggests you wipe around your bathroom every day, and I think this is probably a good tip as it prevents limescale building up in the first place. I use microfibre cloths and some window cleaning spray and wipe over the mirrors, washbasins, bath and shower door every morning. We have 2 bathrooms and a downstairs toilet and the whole thing takes me less than 5 minutes each day. It's a useful habit to be in because I used to get in a panic if anyone called in unexpectedly about the state of my bathrooms!

fatsatsuma Thu 30-Jun-11 13:20:43

Thanks, good tips. I have the Flylady book so will have a look.

Wondering if anyone has any other good anti-limescale tips?

DizzyDummy Thu 30-Jun-11 14:37:26

I think I saw on telly once where someone put a vinegar soaked rag around a limescale encrusted tap then covered in plastic so it didn't dry out then left it overnight, hey presto, shiney taps in the morning!

ViolaTricolor Thu 30-Jun-11 14:44:07

If you have a glass shower screen, squeegee it after every use.

northerngirl41 Thu 30-Jun-11 16:20:24

Don't be tempted to bleach it everyday - the grout will go yellow. Also, (and this might be too late!) did you get them to use anti-bacterial grout and sealant? And they should have used tile sealer on top of the tiles too. Worth double checking.

valiumredhead Thu 30-Jun-11 16:59:37

Go to Waitrose and buy essential Bath and Shower cleaner - fab stuff!

fatsatsuma Thu 30-Jun-11 23:06:07

Thanks,this is really helpful smile

Re vinegar - what's the best kind to use?

Will look out for the Waitrose product.

Have bought a squeegee this very day grin

Will ask builders tomorrow re grouting and tile sealant - but as you say, it may be too late...

MrsGerardButler Thu 30-Jun-11 23:15:56

Move to Scotland and take your lovely new bathroom with you. No limescale here. grin

fatsatsuma Thu 30-Jun-11 23:37:17

Hmmm, nice idea but maybe not so practical. Thanks though grin

northerngirl41 Fri 01-Jul-11 09:43:35

There's also a product called Viakalin (or something like that). You dilute it and wash down the limescaley bits and it dissolves it. Stick your showerhead in a bucket of it - you'll be amazed by the increased power!

OrangeHat Fri 01-Jul-11 09:54:11

Viakal it's called.

(Hard water area person grin)

northerngirl41 Fri 01-Jul-11 14:43:17

That's the one OrangeHat - was having mental blank!!

TheTeaLady Thu 07-Jul-11 21:15:37

The white vinegar trick works brilliantly. I did our sink and tap with vinegar soaked kitchen roll the other day. Looks sparkly new.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 07-Jul-11 22:58:23

I have used Harpic black bottle on the shower head and round taps - instead of Viakal and it works a treat.

I squeegee and use Method shower thingy every morning, wipe round taps in evening when I am cleaning my teeth and squirt some bleach/bloo loo round loo at night. I live in a v hard water area and it drives me insane. Especially as I am Scottish and not used to this limescale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now