Talk

Advanced search

ants, everywhere

(9 Posts)
mollysmum82 Wed 29-Jun-11 15:29:26

I woke up this morning to find ants all over the downstairs of the house! They were crawling all over the kitchen floor, the corridor, the desk and chair in the study...and even in some of DDs toys. I was nearly sick. I managed to sweep most of them up (as humanely as possible) and put them outdoors. I've been out to buy containers for any sugary items in case that was enticing them and I've sworn I'm going to sweep and mop the kitchen/hallway every night from now on.

However, DH has gone mental and has bought endless amounts of ant spray, bait traps etc. The eco-warrior steak in me is finding it hard to handle this so I wondered if anyone had any more humane tips? On how to keep the buggers out for good as well as get rid of the current crop.

Cheers all!

worldgonecrazy Wed 29-Jun-11 15:39:59

Ants follow scent trails so anything that breaks the trail will h elp. You've already done the right thing by putting sugary stuff in containers. Keep the floor clear of crumbs too.

I have found the best thing to stop them coming into the house is paraffin. I pour this across the step and allow it to evaporate. Coffee is also supposed to be good but our step is white so I haven't tried it.

Do you know where they were entering the house? You may need to swish a bit of paraffin around there too.

purpleplump Wed 29-Jun-11 16:38:03

Lemon juice (fresh) repels them or so ive heard. Talcum powder is good too, as they eat it, and it gets carried back to the nest and it dries them out. (not sure how this would go down with the eco warrior in you though!)

purpleplump Wed 29-Jun-11 16:40:13

Oh and kill the scouts (the ones that come out and don't appear to be going in any particular direction - i.e wondering aimlessly) as if they don't return, they won't follow.

purpleplump Wed 29-Jun-11 16:41:24

again, eco warrior wouldnt be happy I suspect!

mumanator Wed 29-Jun-11 22:23:58

flea drops from the vet work!

B52s Thu 30-Jun-11 15:04:50

I'll send round DS2. He loves squishing the ants as they come out their nest.

mollysmum82 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:02:06

Thank you for your sympathy and practical ideas! I really appreciate it.

Who would have ant-icipated this? Hahaha ouch, sorry

PigletJohn Tue 05-Jul-11 00:35:00

do you have pets? traces of food on the floor attract them. Floors need thorough washing and sponging clean. Sugary drink spillages are very bad.

Nippon Gel (comes in a miniature toothpaste tube) is really good for killing ants, you put a couple of drops on a metal surface (so it does not soak in) and they carry it back to the nest to share.

Also you can get Ant Killer sprays that you squirt on hard surfaces, they dry and leave a film that ants pick up on their feet. You spray it along skirting board and under kitchen units and inside cupboards. This is much more effective than powders or insecticides that only kill what your spray, and safer to pets and children.

You might have to make a mental leap to accept that killing vermin is not wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: