Talk

Advanced search

boring but necessary - please recommend me a good large capacity washing machine

(16 Posts)
mrsravelstein Wed 29-Jun-11 11:19:58

i need to buy a new washing machine in a bit of a hurry

family of 5 so want a large capacity one that will stand up to a lot of use (ours is on pretty much all the time it feels like)

ideally want a half load & a quick wash programme too

i like clicky dials rather than electronic displays if possible

won't buy Miele as have been v disappointed with fridge & tumble dryer purchased from them at huge expense

all suggestions gratefully received, thank you

Cutiecat Wed 29-Jun-11 14:43:18

I have a bosch which i think takes 6 kg and have not had a problem with it but doesn't have a half load and is digital. Can't fault its washing though. Second bosch i have had, left last one in old house.

mrsravelstein Wed 29-Jun-11 15:01:02

thanks for that, i think that's supposed to be one of the better brands, i'll have a look!

daylightdreaming Wed 29-Jun-11 16:05:46

We have a Bosch Exxcel 7 - it takes 7kg and I think just self adjusts to smaller loads. I really like it and it's very easy to use - a big dial with all the washes around the sides. Also had a Miele before which I hated.

mrsravelstein Wed 29-Jun-11 16:36:37

i like the sound of a big dial. everyone raves about miele but i have had a nightmare with them...

clappyhands Thu 30-Jun-11 06:43:46

[http://www.johnlewis.com/230718618/Product.aspx]

I have been lusting after this for about 6 months now

Nothing wrong with current machine, so can't justify the expense

But it takes 11kg......................................

clappyhands Thu 30-Jun-11 06:44:10

www.johnlewis.com/230718618/Product.aspx

aarrgghhh

wonkylegs Thu 30-Jun-11 07:17:30

Another recommendation for the bosch exxcel 7 - I am astounded by how quiet it is after my old machine

mrsravelstein Thu 30-Jun-11 07:19:16

clappy hands it looks like something out of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy smile

will take a look at the bosch....

teta Thu 30-Jun-11 09:53:19

Lg Direct Drive 9 kg.I have 4 dc's and wash all my sofa covers and duvets in it.I am really happy with it as is very quiet and has a multitude of washes and extra rinses.However it does have a dial and an electronic display.

Cutiecat Thu 30-Jun-11 23:55:04

Most of the Bosch machines I think have an auto half load. I would also recommend a high spin speed minei s a 1600. I just did my sofa covers today in my 6kg fine and would wash a single duvet but not a double. I am secretly jealous of a 9kg machine but I have no idea why. I think I need to get out more.

mrsravelstein Fri 01-Jul-11 09:24:09

thanks cutie cat... i find myself quite unbothered by the purchase of a washing machine, but have been known to go and stroke range cookers and fisher & paykel fridges in currys, if that makes you feel any better...

Cutiecat Fri 01-Jul-11 10:57:11

I do love a good fridge or washing machine but ovens not so much. I have a Lacanche Cluny and i hate it. Also my dishwasher is on its last legs but dont see any pleasure replacing that.

I tried to pursuade my DH that i need a large capacity machine in the garage for doing all the bedding in every week and the duvets and pillows. He didn't go for the idea. Spoil sport. I was thinking a big american style one

QueenKate Fri 01-Jul-11 12:29:52

We're a family of 5 and have had a Hoover 1600 Vision HD 9kg machine for the 4years - it's great.
Digital display, but a dial and buttons. Fully adjustable temperature range and counts down the time until the end of the wash. It has a 29min and a 59 min cycle. No half load function but, ha ha, with 5 of us that's never really been necessary!

LordOfTheFlies Fri 01-Jul-11 20:17:17

I have a Bosch Excell 8kg, I don't think it has a half wash, but then I never wash a small amount. Takes a massive amount, kingsize 4.5 tog duvet even.The spin speed is only 1200 so sometimes have to re-spin,otherwise brilliant.
It had its own laundry room which it shares with a Hotpoint condenser T/D.The drier is a noisy blighter (now see why it was on sale)

mrsravelstein Sat 02-Jul-11 10:17:03

all useful, thank you all, i'm off to buy one today, sounds like a bosch with a higher speed than 1200 will do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now