Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy grouting

(10 Posts)
Pippaandpolly Tue 28-Jun-11 18:26:15

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of mould on grouting? I've tried the whirry-giant-electric-toothbrush-type-thing from Lakeland, and also bleach, to no avail. It's really gross - any ideas gratefully received! (No fan in bathroom and the window doesn't open far - am trying to keep it open all the time now.)

ClarasMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 19:20:04

Dettol Mildew and mould remover with a toothbrush worked like a charm for me.

Pippaandpolly Tue 28-Jun-11 19:35:31

Thanks ClarasMummy - haven't seen that so will keep an eye out for it.

thingamajig Tue 28-Jun-11 19:38:10

Never used one but have you tried a grout pen to cover the whole mess up?

Pippaandpolly Tue 28-Jun-11 19:49:04

That looks interesting thingamajig - is it just paint though? Hard to tell from the blurb.

Chipotle Tue 28-Jun-11 19:51:57

You have to treat first (Dettol Mould and Mildew remover, or Domestis Grotbuster), then you can use grout reviver it's just paint. Alternatively remove the grout and then regrout. That will look best.

thestringcheeseincident Tue 28-Jun-11 19:52:55

Domestos Grot Buster. It's brilliant.

Pippaandpolly Tue 28-Jun-11 19:57:11

Not keen on removing and regrouting (we're tenants and I petulantly feel the landlord should do that!) but the dettol/domestos route looks good.

thingamajig Tue 28-Jun-11 20:10:40

As far as I know its just paint but if you have killed the mould with bleach type stuff then it will cover up the staining and make it look less yuck. Have you tried asking landlord to install a fan/window ventilator?

Pippaandpolly Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:57

It's a bit complicated - I live at work (school) so the 'landlord' is not actually one person but the whole institution. They don't really keep up staff flats very well - more important things to worry about at the mo I guess. But rather infuriating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now