Talk

Advanced search

Bats - any ideas???

(8 Posts)
spiderslegs Tue 28-Jun-11 13:19:50

My house is full of bats, there must be about 30 lurking around.

We have a fairly large colony in the roof but I think the hot weather has upset them & lots have come in.

Most of them are in the attic but there are about 10 (that I've found) in the bedrooms & downstairs plus dead ones which keep falling out of the curtains. Most of the ones in the house seem a bit distressed & are clinging to curtains & walls but I don't really know what to do with them.

Help.

RafaNadalIsMyLoveSlave Tue 28-Jun-11 13:22:37

You probably know they are protected so your options are somewhat restricted.

I would get on the batphone and call these people

EauRouge Tue 28-Jun-11 13:33:08

Bat conservation trust are great, defo speak to them. DO NOT pick up the bats. DH got bitten a couple of years ago (after following crappy advice from the RSPCA) and had to have a load of rabies shots. He is still referred to as 'bat man' by all the staff at the local GP surgery grin

spiderslegs Tue 28-Jun-11 13:47:28

Have called bat conservation trust, now have a box full of baby bats (he told me to pick them up with kitchen roll), have given them water with a syringe as instructed, am waiting for local batman to call - thanks for the tip.

GrendelsMum Tue 28-Jun-11 18:44:44

Oh dear, how sad. The bats next door were going crazy yesterday - I wonder if they had the same problem.

Pleased you've rescued your bats.

LemonDifficult Wed 29-Jun-11 16:22:29

We have loads of bats this year, masses moe than normal. We found a dazed on lying upside down in the soap dish after it crawled in through the extractor fan in the bathroom.

Have the Bat Conservation people given you any advice on how to keep the bats out of the house, Spider?

spiderslegs Wed 29-Jun-11 16:49:03

They said to plug up all the holes in the attic where they're coming through, not so easy though, it's a big attic with a cruck frame & there are loads small gaps round the timber, we keep the doors up there closed but the blighters must crawl under them.

They did say the bats were behaving in a perculiar fashion this year though so it may settle down.

LemonDifficult Wed 29-Jun-11 17:41:55

Tis Credit Crunch putting them under pressure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now