Talk

Advanced search

help! sewing costume for the school play. flimsy glittery material on a machine. why does the thread keep snapping?

(9 Posts)
INeedALieIn Sat 25-Jun-11 20:45:04

On Friday we were to told to make dd an outfit to bring to school on Monday!!!

I am using glittery flimsy material and the thread keeps snapping. What can I do???

mrsjohnsimm Sat 25-Jun-11 20:58:12

Is the thread snapping as you are sewing or once you've finished a seam? Is it new thread? What is the thread made of (cotton, polyester, something else)? Is the fabric stretchy?

INeedALieIn Sun 26-Jun-11 08:20:15

Along the bottom hem the thread was fine. Along the side seam, where I have to sew through the ssequins (kind of sparkly stickers, not real sequins) the top thread snaps after about 1 inch of sewing.

The fabric is quite see through, very fine and a little bit stretchy.

The thread is polyester.

I have finished the dress now, sewn by hand, it looks great. But I would still like to try to work out where I'm going wrong as the same happens with voile curtains.

Thanks for your help.

mrsjohnsimm Sun 26-Jun-11 09:41:28

Hmm (stumped). Try reposting in Art and Craft and see if someone there has a brilliant idea?

INeedALieIn Sun 26-Jun-11 18:15:07

I'll call in at the fabric shop, bet they'll know where I'm going wrong

bran Sun 26-Jun-11 18:18:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GentleOtter Sun 26-Jun-11 18:20:35

Try running the thread through a candle or beeswax.

purplepidjin Sun 26-Jun-11 18:22:48

Blunt needle?

I do that all the time blush

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Sun 26-Jun-11 21:41:17

Sounds like the tension is too high. Loosen off the tension on the top thread (manual will tell you how) and try it on some scrap fabric (same as you're sewing). Also, use a fine needle, that might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now