Talk

Advanced search

anyone with a gas fireplace answer me this.....

(7 Posts)
reastie Thu 23-Jun-11 16:28:15

...do you get soot coming down your chimney? just had a gas fireplace put in - one of those ones that look realish with flames and fake coal. We've been regularly getting bits of soot etc come down the chimney onto the fake coals, granite front bit (forget the name!) and now on my brand new installed today carpet confused . I don't want to have to get a rug but don't want my new carpet ruined! Is this just what they do or have i got a dodgy fireplace? if anyone wants to give me tips to get soot off of carpets then great - carpet has been in less than half a day and I'm off to get rid of some accidently trodden in soot hmm

gotolder Thu 23-Jun-11 16:54:26

Did you have your chimney swept before you had the new fire installed? It could be that the work, especially if it involved any drilling, has dislodged old soot and it will slowly stop. Perhaps buy a VERY cheap rug and see if it stops.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 23-Jun-11 17:04:23

Yes we do. We have a big tiles hearth infront of the fire though so soot stuff stays on that rather than on the carpet.

reastie Thu 23-Jun-11 18:27:11

gotolder we had it swept a couple of weeks before getting the fireplace installed confused viva we have a hearth....the soot still got on the carpet though hmm

northerngirl41 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:36:00

This happens to us too, although I'm puzzled as to why.

We have a cat who is permanently entranced by what is up the chimney - could be her.
DH is an idiot and constantly throws things on the fire to burn - could also be that.
I'm not entirely convinced there are proper chimney caps fitted at the top, so leaves/birds/broken bits of mortar etc could be falling down.

Suggest rug solution!!

reastie Thu 23-Jun-11 21:39:27

how much/often do you get stuff falling down northern ?

northerngirl41 Thu 23-Jun-11 22:42:31

Seem to happen more when we have the fire on... It's not tons, but you can definitely see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now