Talk

Advanced search

En-suite stinks of cat pee!

(8 Posts)
swingingcat Wed 22-Jun-11 15:33:52

We've lived in this house for 6 months it is a 3 storey new build terraced house.
At the top of the house is the main bedroom with en suite. The en-suite stinks of cat pee, not all the time but generally late evening.

I've scrubbed the shower cubicle, hand basin and the loo with every known cleaner. The vinyl floor covering gets washed with neat bleach but still the smell lingers!

Any suggestions?

WilliamSonoma Wed 22-Jun-11 17:32:10

First of all do you have a cat?

Or is it just the smell?

Only asking because I know that mouse/rat urine has a very distinctive smell and it could be that there has been some "activity" under the floorboards/in the walls, in which case you will not be able to get the smell out.

If it is late evening then it is possibly because the heat from downstairs (cooking, lights on etc) reach their highest temperature at this time and thus makes the smell more obvious.

swingingcat Thu 23-Jun-11 19:17:21

No pets at all!

Smell is awful someone mentioned it could be the light fitment??

northerngirl41 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:32:54

It could be the floorboards if the previous owners had pets. They seem to soak up smells.... I'd remove the vinyl and bleach the floorboards and see if that helps?

SwearyMary Thu 23-Jun-11 21:36:33

Mice was my initial thought. I had a very distinct smell in my garage.....mice were the cause. Got rid of the mice and the smell went too!

elah11 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:39:33

I have heard about light fittings smelling too, apparently it can be rank! The plastic fitting degrades and smells , its easily changed and they are only a couple of euro so maybe give it a go and see?

MintyB Fri 24-Jun-11 19:52:45

Surgical Spirit is great for neutralising cat pee smells.

PigletJohn Sat 25-Jun-11 11:23:45

hot plastic electrical fittings usually have a fishy smell (and these days you should not get it unless there is a fault. Energy-saving lamps run much cooler than old filament bulbs did, and nothing else should get hot).

some plants smell of cat pee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now