Talk

Advanced search

Panicking about moving house with packing service.

(17 Posts)
sungirltan Wed 22-Jun-11 14:11:58

I am having a full pack but worried about which tasks the movers won't do? I am on my own moving with dd so trying to prepare as best I can.

Any wisdom?

TIA

Shinyshoes1 Wed 22-Jun-11 14:23:03

no advice but don't use these clowns with their 'exelent' service.

cheer yourself up and have a read, wtf is the 'cup of tea' business about confused

www.moverspackerslondon.co.uk/

sungirltan Wed 22-Jun-11 14:32:36

he he 'we try to pack everythink'

Blu Wed 22-Jun-11 14:41:26

They do everything!
Check also that they will re-assemble anything that they take apart to pack - especially your beds.
Ask what they do about wardrobes - they may bring temporary cardboard wardrobes to put your clothes in.
I packed my small personal valuable items, and carried those with me in the car.
Check that they are insured for breakages of stuff they pack.

Best to have had a good tidy and sort out, and to label boxes as they go - label them with contents and the room in new house you want them put in when they unload.

They pack v v fast, and not always logically - bathroom products in a box with pet food - that sort of thing!

We've had full packing twice, and I think it is well worth it.

They will come and collect the big stack of empty boxes a week or so after you have moved in - ask them about this.

Blu Wed 22-Jun-11 14:43:13

Pack your own 'instant survival' box or bag, for when you arrive. Kettle, cups, overnight stuff, toys and important baby equipment if your dd is little.

kittywalker Wed 22-Jun-11 14:45:56

They will probably want to come round and have a quick look around your home to work out how big a job it is. What they will and won't carry varies from company to company. I have had companies that will take everything to companies that won't take items such as paint, alcohol, paintings of value so it's worth reading their small print on your quote. I have moved 5 times (including abroad and back) in the last 10 years and have used a packing service each time.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jun-11 14:46:03

empty your bins, else you may find a nice full bin awaits you at your new home.

sungirltan Wed 22-Jun-11 14:47:53

thanks folks - i am trying to do the tidy/sort out/chuck out in the midst of preparing for job interview whislt dh is away...never rains etc....

dm said something about them ont packing chemical like disinfectant etc...know anything about this?

BadRoly Wed 22-Jun-11 14:50:10

Our movers packed everything in the house, including a binful of rubbish. They wouldn't pack any "chemicals", paints etc from the garage/shed.

The kettle etc was in the last box on and therefore the first box off!

Beds were also unpacked and assembled the day we arrived so that we had beds to sleep in that night however we had sleeping bags in the car.

Also they wouldn't empty the loft so we had to bring everything down first and stack it somewhere in the house.

If you haven't already had someone round to quote theh ring the company you are using and ask them what the service does and doesn't include.

BadRoly Wed 22-Jun-11 14:51:04

Thay packed all the under the sink stuff and bathroom cleaning stuff.

sungirltan Wed 22-Jun-11 14:52:13

ok - one tin of paint and thats staying. no loft and will keep kettle etc aside and take it myself. thank you!

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jun-11 14:54:47

The only things ours wouldn't do is paint, barbeque gas bottle, and camping gas. Everything else went.

We've done full pack twice, and they were brilliant. If you are on your own with a LO, they will undoubtedly do everything they can.

Just make sure you have clothes, shoes, sleeping bags/ travel cot and some crockery/kives and forks in the car out of the way cos they pack everything and its nice to get to new house and know you can get a takeaway, eat it and then sleep without needing to unpack

Shinyshoes1 Wed 22-Jun-11 14:57:40

sorry to hijack but how much roughly have people been paying for this service? I am in a v cluttered 2 bed house there are 5 of us and are moving this year?

Poledra Wed 22-Jun-11 15:00:50

I've had a full packing service once and it was fab! They wouldn't take paint but that was all. I put the hoover in my car, so I could run it (the hoover, not the car!) over the old house quickly once it was empty so the dustbunnies didn't get left behind for the new people. I also packed most of our clothes into suitcases as we were leaving the fitted bedroom furniture behind (obv!) and didn't yet have new furniture in the new house.

Make sure you have chocolate biscuits for them - the two guys that packed our house were the leanest, wiriest looking chaps you ever did see, but they ran on chocolate biscuits and sugary builder's tea grin

sungirltan Wed 22-Jun-11 15:02:35

it cost me 1100. thats a local firm for a 2 bed. pickfords were another 200

good tips poledra!

Blu Wed 22-Jun-11 15:09:49

IMO Removal men work v quickly, work hard, and stop very often expecting cups of tea.

sungirltan Sat 02-Jul-11 12:41:57

thnkas all - it went without a hitch - apart from the box i may never unpack which is 'crap from the kitchen drawers!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now