Talk

Advanced search

The more I wash my duvet cover, the dirtier it gets....

(10 Posts)
DELHI Wed 22-Jun-11 12:06:21

White, heavy cotton double duvet cover, a bit grubby I confess,[embarrassed] goes in washing machine yesterday and comes out streaked with grey/brown marks. I've now washed it 7 times, no kidding, and also run the washing machine empty at 95 degrees. The duvet cover is still covered in dirty streaks - any ideas?

SarkySpanner Wed 22-Jun-11 12:09:49

Is the drain/filter on your washing machine getting blocked up?

Mine does this when it is not draining quickly enough and the gunk that is lurking down the drain seems to come back up.

DELHI Wed 22-Jun-11 12:17:19

No, Sarky, drain seems fine....confused

Madlizzy Wed 22-Jun-11 12:19:12

Wash the cover on a 95 degree prewash. I always do my white bedding on this and it brings it up beautifully. Definitely clean the filter on the machine too.

Madlizzy Wed 22-Jun-11 12:19:41

Oh, and make sure you use biological powder.

SarkySpanner Wed 22-Jun-11 12:28:53

is the inside bit of the plastic seal to the door hiding some filth?

there must be some filth lurking somewhere...

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 12:35:55

Gunk on the door seal.It happens when you don't do a boil wash every few weeks.It then coats the sheets as you pull them out and leaves those streaks.Get in there with a cloth and you will see all the vile gunge! Clean it all out and then run another run a boil wash on empty with non-eco powder.The boil wash alone isn't enough to clean the door seal once the gunge is there. As to the marks-if you have washed the cover too hot you might have "cooked" them in,but a wash with eco-bleach and biological powder shifted mine off my white duvet.You may just be getting new streaks when you pull it out and are assuming they are the same ones.Once the gunge is off the seal you won't get any new ones.

DELHI Wed 22-Jun-11 13:23:57

thanks all. off to by bio powder and clean my seal....

hellymelly Wed 22-Jun-11 14:49:29

You need to get right inside the foldy bit of the rubber seal. I was shock at the amount of gunk in mine.(slattern,me)

Lizcat Wed 22-Jun-11 14:58:58

Also hang it out on the line to dry sunlight bleaches out the vast majority of marks from white bedlinen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now